Tiger Oscar Question...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TheRealKrafty

AC Members
Jul 30, 2012
I have a 55 gallon freshwater tank with 3 Beautiful Tiger Oscars about 3 inches at the moment. My question is will they get along with the fish I have listed in my signature? I have heard they will eat anything that fits in their mouth lol :eek: Also, what size do they grow to? I heard 15'' max but what is a real estimate?

Thanks for the help!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I wouldn't keep the GN with them, maybe the Syno's provided there is some cover for them. Three Os in a 55 is generally considered overstock, as most folks will recommend a 75 for a single Oscar. It is common to see Os in the 12-14" range with proper tank maintenance, good food and clean water. A great fish with lots of personality, but some folks can tell you horror stories of having one that just kills everything. I think you are asking for problems to keep anymore than one in a 55.

TheRealKrafty

AC Members
Jul 30, 2012
Ok, thank you

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
Most healthy Oscars with be in the 12"-13" range. I have seen some ~15" oscars before but they looked ancient. Most people actually recommend a 75 gallon for an oscar. A 55g is alright for one, but it would be a bit cramped.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
3 Oscars in a 55 is asking for problems in many areas. A 55 gallon is 12.75 (generous measurement) on the inside measure. As has been been mentioned, a fish that is likely to get to 15+" would get stunted causing health issues. And that is just one Oscar!

Filtration requirements are extreme for an Oscar as they are considered to be "dirty" in the sense of food and bodily waste. A pleco is also a high waste fish. They will also likely destroy any decor and place it where they want it. There is no written rule on how much water is needed for an Oscar, general acceptance is 75 gallons for the 1st one and an additional 50 gallons per Oscar after that. You would also need to add another 50 gallon minimum per pleco unless you got a dwarf or small pleco. Due to the high bio load they create, frequent water changes are also needed. 3 Oscars in a 180 gallon tank would need 2-3 water changes a week.

Please re-think your stocking. There are other fish that are more suitable to a 55 gallon than Oscars or large plecos.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store