What kind of angelfish do I have?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sara3502

AC Members
Jun 28, 2011
I'm not sure what kind of angelfish mine is. Please help! It is confusing because it is striped on one side and blank on the other. And sorry for bad picture quality, it was taken on an iPad!

image.jpg image.jpg

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
An angel is an angel, unless you are asking about the species. I like to call all those angels that have been mixed, mutts. They are like those dogs that have been cross bred so often that there is no "name" for it.

Your angel, looks like a mutt.

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
beats me; my angelfish research was some years ago in pursuit of another project and I lost all the links I had accumulated. You can just search "angelfish types" or "angelfish genetics" and come up with a list of the different varieties, with pictures, in fairly short order.

Is the different-colors-on-different-sides consistent all the time or do the colors vary--like does the white side ever develop stripes or patches of color, or do the ones on the colored side fade away? My guess is that you have a mutt: mix of two or more different varieties/genetic backgrounds, and it has the genes for color on one side and not on the other. But I could be entirely wrong. :)

CUTE little angel though!! I am guessing it is fairly young? Under a year anyway? They can get mean when they get older, but worry about that when and if the time comes. Anything else in the tank with it besides the neons?

(coke to Tanker who either writes faster than me or whose computer doesn't go through that weird stall after you hit "enter" and then demand you approve to leave the page or not to post what you wrote. That and the recent requirement that you re-log-in once or more a day (where I used to not have to log in for months if not years at a time) have been very computationally annoying of late.)

Last edited:

Sara3502

AC Members
Jun 28, 2011
Yeah I guess he is a mutt, and no the one side never produces any color. I got him quarter sized in July and he is about 1 1/2 inches body size. I can't wait until he gets full grown!!! He is with some barbs, neons, a peacock eel, glass catfish, a small quarter sized angelfish and a kribensis cichlids and 3 otos, so a community tank. My brothers dumped in all the barbs, catfish, eel etc. and I am going to get a new tank for some of them hopefully! They also put a KOI fish in there and we will build a pond for him this spring

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
It's P. Scalare.

btw, it may develop more color as it ages.. looks like it has some marble and gold in it but time will tell.

dpfhpres

AC Members
Nov 15, 2012
Your angel is a goldmarble and if I had to guess I would say he carries a gold gene

angelfishusa

Registered Member
Jan 17, 2013
I'm not sure what kind of angelfish mine is. Please help! It is confusing because it is striped on one side and blank on the other. And sorry for bad picture quality, it was taken on an iPad!
Wish the color was more true in your pictures. The photo on the left looks very much like a Platinum Marble. If the color was more true I could tell you for sure. Bu it is either a Platinum Marble or Gold Marble. And i would definitely not call that strain of fish a "mutt"
David
ANGELFISHUSA

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store