Colored sand and gravel?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Foxie

AC Members
Dec 10, 2012
Florida
Camera Used
Canon 7D, or Galaxy s10 note phone
I read somewhere that certain fish don't like colored sand or gravel and will not be as happy with their surroundings. Is there any truth to this?

sorberj

wannabe fish whisperer
Sep 14, 2009
McCleary, WA
Real Name
Jerad
I don't think the fish really care that much, however I suggest avoiding too much white since it can be pretty reflective and make the fish feel exposed, thus stressing them a bit.

Most of the issues I hear about with gravel colors are on the human side.

Please forgive any typos. This was sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using the MonsterAquariaNetwok App

Foxie

AC Members
Dec 10, 2012
Florida
Camera Used
OK thanks Jarad.... for the heads up on the color. I have a large area in the middle of my tank of natural colored sm gravel and wanted to put a diff color in there like a dark brown sand with sm rocks edging the area, mainly for my Sterbai Corys to forage thru.

Foxie

AC Members
Dec 10, 2012
Florida
Camera Used
I have chosen the sand (a nice shade of pale brown) and have washed it till clear.
My question now is this:
it came with a packet of clarity liquid. Do I use that in an established tank with fish already in the tank??

sorberj

wannabe fish whisperer
Sep 14, 2009
McCleary, WA
Real Name
Jerad
I wouldn't use it since I'm not familiar with it and it doesn't seem necessary.

Please forgive any typos. This was sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using the MonsterAquariaNetwok App

esoepr1976

AC Members
Oct 27, 2012
Iowa
Real Name
Emily
I think (but I'm not sure) the clarity will help if the sand wasn't rinsed well and caused a cloudy tank. It would clump the sand particles in the water together to make it easier for the filter to remove them.

Emily

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
Colored substrates are fine as long as they are not crazy colored like those rainbow gravels that you may see. This is more on the aesthetic side than for the health of the fish. I prefer black colored sand/gravel because it makes the fishes colors stand out more.

Foxie

AC Members
Dec 10, 2012
Florida
Camera Used
Well I finished my underwater riverbed and the sand did very well with no cloudy water. it looks really nice. I would post a picture but not sure how to do that yet! :)
I have to read how to attach a photo to the forum.
Thanks for the posts....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store