Kmno4 and H202 to improve water quality

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

terror

AC Members
May 23, 1999
Manila, Philippines
I'm planning to use Kmno4 (Potassium permanganate ) and H202 (hydrogen peroxide ) to oxidize my tanks dissolved organic matter .
Planning to occasionally use them, maybe once every 2 months?

i trie3d a few days ago in my arowana tanks.
I dropped some PP, enough to turn my water pink for only a few minutes, after wards, i added some H202 to neutralize the PP, before that i disconnected my filters and removed some dirt from my tank and also all decorations, So far my arowanas seem to be quite happy?
while using PP i increased the aeration in the tank
anybody tried this?

btw for H2o2, Can i use it alone to oxidize dissolved organic matter?
I have a tank with clown loaches, will clown loaches be ok with a little H2o2?
planning to use only a small amount. not sure how much yet though, any tips and advise?

thanks.

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
This is interesting to me as I have never heard of using those compounds in a tank. Subscribed.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Potassium permanganate is great to kill off a snail infested tank. It will kill almost all inverts and hydra. I have heard that one by-product of using H2O2 is that it removes oxygen from the water. If true, I would be careful with using it.

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
Actually H2O2 produces o2 as a by product. My only worry is that it would kill off the beneficial bacteria in the tank.

Jannika

MTS Survivor
Mar 17, 2010
N. California
Interesting. According to Burgess, Bailey, and Exell, 3% hydrogen peroxide can be used to remedy hypoxia in fish tanks, as it fairly quickly breaks down into harmless water and oxygen, but warn that it should be used for emergencies only. They recommend 5-10 ml per 10 gallons, predissolved in some tank water and poured into the filter outflow path for best dispersion.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Do a search on this forum for H2o2 or hydrogen peroxide and there are a myriad of topics covering it dating way back. The same goes for potassium permanganate. Both are commonly used for oxidizing organics, clearing up green water, killing pests and algae, adding emergency O2 (H2O2), etc. Their use should be carefully dosed and monitored to prevent potential harm or death to the fish and other inhabitants. When warranted, I've been carefully using H2o2 in my tanks for years.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Living Color, the maker of artificial coral decorations sells a product called AquaMaid to clean algae off of their decorations without removing them. It's 10% peroxide, and works very well when used as directed. I wouldn't want to get a drop on my skin though.

terror

AC Members
May 23, 1999
Manila, Philippines
thanks, I guess sometime I just want to try something which hopefully would help my fish be healthier but at the same time , its not going to be too expensive. :)
I've used H202 and Kmno4 a long time ago but that was with Discus.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store