Angelfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SuperFishTanker

AC Members
Dec 30, 2012
Eventually I would like to keep a group of angelfish in a planted tank. I have been doing a lot of research as far as natural habitat. However, i cannot find a lot of definitive aquaria recommendations. I would like some opinions on having amazon swords, a few smaller plastic plants, 8 angelfish, 1 hifin spotted pleco?

Sent from my MB855 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Research "amazon biotope." Unless you have a very large aquarium, I do not recommend 8 angelfish in the same tank. Even then, the common Scalare varieties will likely pair up and start killing each other off. Altums are one of the better species to keep in groups in larger aquaria.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Mike is spot on, re: angels

p> Altum are a whole different subject

angelfishusa

Registered Member
Jan 17, 2013
Eventually I would like to keep a group of angelfish in a planted tank. I have been doing a lot of research as far as natural habitat. However, i cannot find a lot of definitive aquaria recommendations. I would like some opinions on having amazon swords, a few smaller plastic plants, 8 angelfish, 1 hifin spotted pleco?

Amazon swords would be one of the plants we would recommend with angelfish. They tolerate warmer waters better than most other plants. You might also consider some Anubias which look great on driftwood. If you are wanting to keep 8 Angelfish you would need a minimum 80+ gallon tank. rule of thumb is 1 angelfish per 10 gallons of water. Angelfish will pair off when they hit sexual maturity. As long as your tank is large enough it should not cause any problems. the pairs will defend their territory before and during spawning.
David
ANGELFISHUSA

SuperFishTanker

AC Members
Dec 30, 2012
Thanks for all the information :) I have read the 10 gallons per fish, I just wasn't sure if that was okay after they've matured. I have a 37 gallon with 5 smaller angelfish (2 black marble, 2 silver, one white) and a 6 inch hifin (this is a temporary home) I have two smaller angels one koi and one tiger altum <=[[is that going to be a problem?]] in my 55 gallon. I am trying to get them to the others size before I get a bigger tank to put all of them together happily. I have a 180 as well, I am just new to angelfish and planted tanks. Also would a 65 gallon be alright?

SuperFishTanker

AC Members
Dec 30, 2012
My Tanks

DSCN4850.JPG180 Gallon River Monsters Tank-Florida gar eating :)
DSCN4860.JPG 37 Gallon Angel Community Tank-2 Black Marble, 2 Silver, 1 white, hifin spotted pleco
DSCN4863.JPG180 Gallon River Monsters Tank-Oscar "the Don"
DSCN4865.JPG180 Gallon River Monsters Tank-RTC, common pleco, florida gar, oscar
DSCN4867.JPG55 Gallon Pleco Tank-Albino bristle nose pleco, bristle nose pleco, bulldog pleco, clown pleco, BGK , moorii, tiger altum, koi angelfish

DSCN4850.JPG DSCN4860.JPG DSCN4863.JPG DSCN4865.JPG DSCN4867.JPG

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
you'll need to keep an eye on them as angels can become aggressive within the species.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store