Sump or refugium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Pfisherman

Team Associated User
Nov 16, 2006
Morris, Illinois
www.myspace.com
It is getting to be tax time and I will be adding a much needed sump or fuge to my 75. Currently it is a FOWLR but I am slowly working towards a reef setup, I am looking at the large HOB cpr fuge. From my LFS it is quite a steal with the light, MUD and stocked with pods and macro algae. I looked at all the DIY overflows on youtube since tank is not drilled and they scare me, same with those HOB over flows. I rent and if the power goes out the crap loses siphon and my sump is pumped onto my carpet. No Good.

So on thereeftank.com forum I stumbled on this:
http://www.glass-holes.com/700-gph-Overflow-Box-Complete-Kit-gh700kit.htm

This kit would allow me to sump my tank, Interesting. I am a bit nervous to drill the tank, but I am warming up to it. I think I could sump it for a reasonable price and build a fuge into the sump.

Can anyone help me out with some pro's or con's

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Don't know about the kit.

For a sump/fuge: more volume = greater stability
Place to hide equipment
Additional breeding ground for pods/detrivores
Allows topoff to mix before entering the main tank

There aren't many cons...I can't think of one, really.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
I'm going to assume you mean a sump/fuge combo, meaning you will have 1 tank that holds equipment (skimmer, heaters, filter sock(s)) in 1 compartment , macro alage in another, and a third that holds the return pump. If that is the case, I wouldn't incorporate a fuge unless you have a specific need for macro such as a place to breed pods for food or you just want to grow various types of macro. In order for a fuge to be an effective means of nutrient control, its needs to be big. By big, I mean about equal to or larger than the display tank itslef. You would be much better off leaving the fuge out and investing in a quality submersible protein skimmer. The same holds true for the CPR fuge. It will offer little to no nutrient control benefits and you'll have a big ugly pump on your back glass :).

The GH overflows do work. Lots of people use them. Are you going to drain the tank and drill it or are you going to risk drilling the tank with water in it? And before you say anything about the latter, yes it has been done. I DO NOT recommend it but it has been done. The GH kits are made well and there is no silicine involved so you could potentially drain the tank, drill it and have your tank up and running again the same day. If you are not willing to use a HOB overflow or are unwilling to rehome your livestock in order to silicone in a different style overflow, then the GH overflow is the way to go.

I agree there are no cons assocaited with incorporating a sump. Well, I guess spending more money is a con but we won't count that one :).

Pfisherman

Team Associated User
Nov 16, 2006
Morris, Illinois
www.myspace.com
So greech, you are saying not to include the macro? I will drain the tank to drill the hole. I really dont know what exatly I will be including yet as I have never made a sump yet, but I am leaning that way. Does anyone have any pics of the sump you are using. Mine will likely be from a 29g tank if that is sufficient.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
I'm not saying not to include macro. What I am saying is that many people expect a refugium to handle nutrients in their systems because that is what they read. Of course macro will take up nutrients regardless of the size of the refugium but it has it limits. If the macro is all that will be used for filtration, the size of the fuge becomes more and more important. Just like anything else, the livestock (type and number) you keep will dictate a lot of what needs to be done in terms of filtration but I would not feel comfortable stating that a moderately stocked 75 gallon could be maintained by the amount of macro you could put in part of a 29 sump (keep in mind that you would need at least one [two if you run an in-sump skimmer] baffled off section off an area for your return pump. IMO, its not worth the little benefit you would gain over just committing to a quality skimmer and running carbon (probably should regardless if you use a fuge) and GFO.

If you like the idea of having macro in your sump, go for it. Macro does have other benefits such as a place to grow pods and keep other critters you might not want in your display.

Last edited:

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Yes, most will, some will get shredded. The ideal "pod fuge" is placed above the tank and gravity feeds back down to the display. That is what the hang on back, CPR style refugiums are good for.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store