Probable intestinal parasites

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
Well, I think one of my discus is infect with intestinal parasites. He has white, mucoid feces, secludes himself, is very dark, his belly's slightly swollen, and now he is being difficult to feed. I don't know how exactly he got it, but he has something non-the-less. He's in a planted tank with 3 other discus (all between 2-3.5''), glowlights, cories, an apisto, 4 otos and a honey gourami.

Temp stays as a steady 86F
0 ammonia
0nitrite
7.4 pH

I do daily 16% waterchanges except on saturdays when I do 40%. All other fish seem okay, although the apisto may be showing similiar symptoms (it's hard to tell because his territory is under a piece of driftwood). The other discus *may* also be infected but their only symptom is white- stringy feces and that's only sometimes.

If there are any home remedies that I can try, they would be best.

Thanks in advance.

Harry Tolen

Cichlid Fan
Aug 17, 2000
Union, WA, USA
Metronidazole (available from your vet) is the standard treatment for intestinal problems in fish (as well as dogs, which is why your vet carries it). It is also available from sources such as Drs. Foster and Smith online. If you buy it from them it will come with dosage instructions; otherwise, you'll need to research them online.

If water or tank conditions are less than optimal for discus, they can easily develop a bacterial infection in their intestinal tract which will lead to the symptoms you describe (the stress impairs their immune system). Since your temp and water parameters and water change regimen all seem fine, this is a bit of a puzzler. Just for the heck of it, let me ask what kind of filtration do you have and how often do you clear your filter media of organic detritus?

PumaWard

Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
I have an aquatec 20-40 HOB and a submersible filter.. not sure what the GPH of it is or the manufactorer but my guess would be for a 20g+. I clean the filters once a week.

I have also started feeding them pellets laced with garlic. He won't eat them but maybe it will help the others.

Will the vet give me the medications or do you need a perscription?

Harry Tolen

Cichlid Fan
Aug 17, 2000
Union, WA, USA
Since you can buy metronidazole on-line without a prescription, your vet will probably also sell it to you. Especially once you explain what it is for. Besides, what's he/she going to do...ask you to bring the fish in for an examination?

Also, just remembered another medication that contained the active ingredient levamisole which is also supposed to be effective in these cases (sorry, you'll have to Google and see if you can track it down; I don't remember the name). That one might also work.

If you are rinsing your filter media out in tank water once a week to clear the detritus, that should be enough. Don't throw away the old media, however, as that is where the nitrifying bacteria primarily live.

Good luck.

P.S. Almost forgot...your pH doesn't look
too bad, but what are your GH and KH readings?

PumaWard

Jul 23, 2003
Vermont

Last time I checked... which admitedly was a while ago, kH was around 6 degrees and gH was between 8-10 degrees.

Barbie

Fishaholic
I would definitely recommend quarantining the sick discus for treatment, not just treating the entire tank. The garlic food should keep them healthy, as long as they aren't stressed by some other factor. Because Metronidazole was designed for people, its much more effectiveat higher temps. 90 degress works best for discus, IMO, with 50% daily water changes, and a dosage of 400mg/10 gallons net tank volume, dosed daily for 5 days. I wouldn't feed him at all until at least the 3rd day. Odds are good he won't eat anyway, and it just adds pollutants to his tank water. The warmer temp will also help stimulate his appetite. Good luck!

Barbie

PumaWard

Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
Q-tank is in use with other fish at this time.
Also, with possibly 4 other fish besides him being infected, wouldn't the smartest move be to treat the entire tank? The apisto in now showing symptoms similiar to the discus. Temp is at 88F now.

ScottoMacD

Charlie and Amanda's Daddy
Dec 21, 2001
Vaudreuil-Dorion, Quebec, Canada
FYI

If you are having trouble getting your hands on Metro.

Pepso Food by Jungle Labs uses metro as one of its main ingredients.

That maybe easier to find. Probably cheaper also. Vets like to overcharge for everything.

I have never used it but I have customers who swear by it.

http://www.junglelabs.com/pages/details.phtml?item=NJ169

PumaWard

Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
Well, the vet wanted a certain dosage which all I could find was the amount of metro for every gallon/liter and I don't think that is what he's looking for. He didn't seem convinced that it was parasites (he didn't actually see the fish... and when I said 'slightly bloated' I think he thought I meant the fish had dropsy).

I'm going to order online sine my LFS doesn't have much for medications. For now I am have my brother bring a 10g home so I can q-t him at 92F.

Thanks all for your help :)

PumaWard

Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
Update

Well, we're going on day 2 of quarantine. Yesterday I made the final heater adjustment up to 92F and I found some medication at wally world by Jungle Labs. It's the Parasite Clear fiz tabs, I bought it because it has metro in it and possibly some amino acids in it. Today it looks like he has some solids in his feces, but they still look quite mucoid. I also think he's eating things off the bottom.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store