Aqueon modular LED light?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dionysus

AC Members
May 30, 2007
Wisconsin
Looking for a 48" LED light for 75g. Not looking for alot of light, prefer moderate at most. My LFS owner suggested the Aqueon Modular Strip light. I do like the setup of fixture, allowing to add on, n replace the LED strips without replacing whole light.
Any of you hav, or hav tried this light? Or any feedback on it?

Sent from my LG-VM696 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Do you want plants? The aqueon modular only includes a single strip of LED's additionals are $50ea. So no plants unless you add atleast 2 more strips even then it'd still be low light plants. Even with no plants, I'd say its likely you'd want to add another strip in it because of the height on a 75g.

Dionysus

AC Members
May 30, 2007
Wisconsin
No plants, it'll stay fish only, so good there...hav a couple 4" Datnoids in it rite now, n they more stable with lower light...used to light tank with just 2 60w incandescent bulbs, that hung bout 8" above tank. That was perfect, but moved tank n now hav single 48" flour strip on tank. Plenty bright, if not too bright. Hav LED's on my reef tank, n really like the way they look vs fluorescent. Anyway, pretty sure the single strip that comes with light b enough 4 what I'm after.
Id actually like to b able to dim the fixture if needed. But I assume a regular inline lamp dimmer will won't work with transformer in light. I see Ecoxotic sells a LED inline 12-24v dimmer. Any idea if that would work with the Aqueon?

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
I have the ecoxotics doubt the dimmer would be able to plug into the aqueon. You should be able to do DIY fixture yourself with a dimmer for $150ish.

Dionysus

AC Members
May 30, 2007
Wisconsin
Yeah, I thought about that. Was looking into some stunner strips awhile ago, deciding if that mite b better option. I believe that dimmer compatable with stunner if i read it right. Really like the shimmer they giv off too

spudboy

AC Members
Jun 2, 2011
Riverside CA
I had a single ho t5 bulb over my 60 gallon tank when I happened to see this at my lfs. Price was right, I was curious so I bought it with a white and a color max strip. The unit looks nice enough but it's made of cheap plastic. I removed the t5 and put this over my tank and turned it on....wow. The difference between LED and florescent is amazing. So I had no idea how much LED lighting I was going to need to keep my plants happy. Mind you, they were growing very well with the t5. In about a weeks time my plants were showing signs of trouble. Everything started going brown. That's 21 watts of light at, supposedly, 10000k. So before I had to deal with cabbage soup, I added the t5 back into the equation and within a few days everything started to recover.

The fixture looks nice and the moon LEDs look great at night. If you just want your tank to look nice, they work well. If you want to grow plants they will need supplemental lighting.

bryk

Registered Member
Feb 25, 2013
Well I just purchased a 30 inch for my 37 gal with two colormax. So I will be trying it out with the 1 white it comes with and 2 color max in the expansion slots. I have a fully planted low light planted tank and I am looking for a boost over having a single plant spec T8 on this tank. If it works out then I'll go with it for my 46 planted as well.

Anyone else have any experience with it?

Spud I send you a PM, but if you read this first. Did you try it with just the single white light? Or did you try adding 1 or 2 colormax?

spudboy

AC Members
Jun 2, 2011
Riverside CA
Bryk, sorry for the late response. Yeah, I tried it with just the single white LED strip that came with the unit and found it too dim. I have since put in three colormax strips and the result is impressive from an esthetic point of view. All in all, I like it. Looks nice and didn't break the bank. If I were to do it again, however, I think I would go another way. Because of my investment in plants, I still need the t5 running. So the LED set is really just supplemental lighting, still paying the cost to run the t5. I love the way the LEDs look and would probably spend the clams on a really good LED setup instead. What's been your experience with the Aqueon?

Dobber

AC Members
Jan 30, 2005
Madison, WI
I have the 48" unit, and started with one bulb. I had new plants that weren't doing anything at all, and thru this forum quickly realized that my ancient bulb was the culprit....and on the surface liked the idea of LED from energy consumption.

The amount of light output from one white bulb was drastically improved over the previous stuff, though I still doubted it would be a long term benefit to the plants. I bought another white bulb and a colormax bulb to fill the unit and my plants have been doing great (the golden lloydiella still seems a bit stunted comparatively, but I think one of the fish was going after the roots thinking they were blackworms).

Here is the technical info a rep from Aqueon emailed me when I inquired (end of March):

These are actually very new. They have not made it onto our website yet and apparently PetSmart’s either. Check with www.marineandreef.com they have all the sizes and all of the replacement tubes. There are other sites but that one comes to mind right away.
They are 9000K. Two tubes will give you 27 PAR when measured at 12” from the bulbs. If you use all 3 tubes then you will get 41 PAR (at 12” from bulb).

Regards,

Rob Moneyhan
Central Aquatics Tech Lead
Kent Marine, Coralife, Aqueon, Oceanic, Zilla, Super Pet
Phone# 888-255-4527 or 414-423-8544
Fax# 800-398-0396 or 414-421-9682
Email: rmoneyhan@central.com

Hope this helps.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
If you just want excellent tank lighting and you're not worried about growing plants, I'd get a pair of 24" Marineland LED hoods. They're hinged and super nice for tank maintenance. You don't need PITA glass vera-tops with them. Which is a BONUS in my opinion.

Top-Fin LED hoods put out more light, but aren't hinged like the Marineland hoods. Plus I don't think you can buy the Top-Fin hoods (new) separate from the tank kits.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store