Repost in Correct Forum I Hope--Hello All From North Carolina

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

materbona

Registered Member
Jan 17, 2013
Laurinburg, NC
Real Name
Shirley
[h=2][/h]
Am just starting up aquariums again after a long break. My newest fish are all bottom dwellers so am a little confused as to what to feed them. They don't touch the zucchini on clips it seems, or at least not much. Same with lettuce. I have pellets but am worried about fouling the water with everything? One of my tanks only has a few baby guppies--then a dojo, clown, pleco, algae eater, and raphael cat. I am hoping something I have will get large enough to put in with my oscar in his 60 gallon tank but I am not sure what that would be. I have two tens (one mentioned above, plus the other has 7 emerald corys, 1 pleco, a algae eater, 2 siamese flying fox and a few baby guppies), a tiny 5 (3 guppies plus a few babies, 1 small leopard pleco, 1 spotted cory) a 40 for the water turtles (florida red bellied mud, common musk, ridgeback musk, 3 stripe mud turtle plus some guppies), and the 60 for the oscar. I assume the dojo and clown loaches will be okay together? I really can't add any! Thanks for any advice on food. Shirley PS We go out of town a lot from Friday afternoon until early Sunday....a neighbor always checks in on my pets (we have cats and a small parrot; I take the macaw and chi with us)....couldn't I just give the food a rest til I get back? I am considering though asking her to drop a couple of algae pellets in the loach and Raphael tank since they are newbies? Thanks again

esoepr1976

AC Members
Oct 27, 2012
Iowa
Real Name
Emily
I'm confused, do you have clown loaches or clown plecos? very different fish. Some of your bottom dwellers will eat zucchini (the plecos and algae eaters), some will not (the cories and such--they are more meat eaters, but might try it out). Your tanks sound over stocked, but if your fish are still little, maybe not yet. The raphael should grow big enough I think not to get eaten, same with the full sized plecos and possibly the loaches (clown loaches maybe, dojo maybe not). (also, as soon as the guppies fit in his mouth, they will be food.) The dojo loach would really like to have company of it's own, and would prefer cooler water than the rest of your fish. What are your algae eaters, if not siamese flying fox? Are they Chinese algae eaters? If so, they won't really eat much algae when they get bigger, and may get feisty. If you have a clown loach, it will get too big for a 10g--and it will want friends. A dojo loach and a clown loach will not be suitable friends for each other--they look and act nothing alike. Depending on what kind of pleco's you have, they will also likely outgrow the 10gallon tanks as well. Many plecos get upwards of 18". Really you will need to move a lot of your fish out of your 10g tanks, but likely before they are big enough to live with your oscar.
As for leaving for a weekend, your fish will be fine without food. They will fare much better being not fed than being overfed.

Emily

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store