100 gal tank for Tangs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bkincaid22

AC Members
Jan 19, 2013
I have kept Malawi (peacocks) for a long time. I think I am about to buy a 100 gal aquarium and wanted opinions. Would like to do some shell dwellers, and a mix of other tangs like Brichardi, leleupi, Calvus and something like dickfeldi's. would like some open water tangs so any suggestions there?

I need to choose a sand substrate too. Any suggestions on best type? Color? About how much should I get for a 100 gal?

I will probably have more questions later so let's start here. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Awesome tank size, white sand looks good but it is your call you can also use the brown sand from swimming pool shops known as pool filter sand, the stock list sounds good but i would suggest a more beefy shell dweller like Hecqui or Brevis.. I always put egg crate down and then the sand, usually about an 1.5 to 2" deep sand bed, if i were you for a 100gal i would just get 2 50LB bags and see how you like the look, you don't need to go to deep on the sand bed..

Some of the open water Tang's you could go with are Cyprichromis or Paracyprichromis, I have two groups in a 120gal 11 Cyp Utinta and 10 Paracyp Neon Blues along with a pair of Flame Tail Brichardi and 5 Julidochromis Transcriptus..

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
It can be but i use it to stop them from pushing the sand around too much..

bkincaid22

AC Members
Jan 19, 2013
I finally bought my 100 gal aq tonight. I am still toying with idea of keeping African's instead of Tang's. I will most likely be getting sand for the substrate or fine pea size gravel. Suggestions? Also, what about filtration? I have 1 Fluval 305 canister and a Fluval 406. Think that is enough? I also have 2 Koralia Circulation and wave pumps for circulation. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Pfisherman

Team Associated User
Nov 16, 2006
Morris, Illinois
www.myspace.com
I dont think you can keep to many tangs in a tank that size, likely just one. But thats okay because there are other fish that you can keep that get large as well, and from what I have been seeing the SW fish make better communities than our cichlids do. I made the mistake of cheaping out on substrate, learn from me and get the right stuff the first time. The right stuff is aragonite. Live rock is your friend with marine tanks, the general rule is around a pound per gallon, that goes for the sand as well. Get it from reefrocks.net I haven't ordered from them but it seems like the best prices I have found, I just found them tonight. The rock is your primary source of biological bacteria and the home of copepods and amphipods, these critters help clean your tank by eating the poop and food that your stock leaves behind. that being said you will also want to get some "Live" live rock from the LFS to seed your tank with pods and bacteria and coraline algae if you want coraline. Your canister filters should suffice for a fowlr tank, but you will need to keep an eye on your nitrates. The koralias may work, and are deffinatly better than nothing, try to have over 1000gph of flow to feed your rocks. Lighting is an issue, even with fowler tanks, not so much though. just have at least 10,000k bulbs and prepare to change them often, at least yearly because green hair algae loves poor lighting. That should give you an idea of the PITA that SW can be. My friend that is just a tip of the iceberg.

Dont get pea gravel either, it will leach phosphates and cause never ending algae blooms, dont get silica sand it will ALWAYS get covered in diatoms.

esoepr1976

AC Members
Oct 27, 2012
Iowa
Real Name
Emily
I believe when the OP was talking about tangs he meant cichlids from lake Tanganyika, not the salt water fish.

Emily

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store