Frontosa with an issue

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Manafel

AC Members
Oct 10, 2011
Tulsa, OK
Real Name
Kayla
http://static.photobucket.com/playe...om/albums/b313/augieelectrawolf/VIDEO0001.mp4
Hello, I have 7 frontosa in a 200 gallon tank. I have noticed in the past few days that I have a front that looks like its holding something in its mouth, and it has trouble keeping down. I watched him spit once and air bubbles and something(looked like poop) came out and it was swimming fine. Now its back to doing it. Everyone else in the tank is acting fine. Is this float or something more serious? Thanks.

Sent from my PC36100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
are you sure its a he?....could it be a female holding eggs/fry? they are mouth brooders.

Manafel

AC Members
Oct 10, 2011
Tulsa, OK
Real Name
Kayla
They are only about a year old, fronts mature at about 2 years, but off it wasn't for the abnormal swimming I might think otherwise :(

Manafel

AC Members
Oct 10, 2011
Tulsa, OK
Real Name
Kayla
Sorry, they mature at about 4 years and sorry for my poor typing x.x

Reactions: Ucbjason

Jannika

MTS Survivor
Mar 17, 2010
N. California
Hi Manafel, I couldn't see the video *buffering*. Could the fish have swallowed a pebble, shell, or something that stuck? If not, they will sometimes vomit due to a gut infection just like humans and require antibiotics. Does it look bloated?

Manafel

AC Members
Oct 10, 2011
Tulsa, OK
Real Name
Kayla
hello Jannika.
The only thing that could be swallowed in the tank would be the black blasting sand that I'm currently using as substrate. The fish does not look bloated, just looks like it's holding something in it's mouth and having trouble swimming. I will try to see if I can post the video a different way.

Manafel

AC Members
Oct 10, 2011
Tulsa, OK
Real Name
Kayla
[video=youtube;IsEJ2GsMuzg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsEJ2GsMuzg[/video]

I uploaded it up to my youtube account, should work now.

Manafel

AC Members
Oct 10, 2011
Tulsa, OK
Real Name
Kayla
I think that I might have figured out what is going on. I have been researching it all day.
Apparently it isn't unheard of for female fronts to go to the surface and 'gulp' some air and hold it in their mouths. While there is no official explanation for it, some speculate that its cause by stress or that they are practicing to hold eggs. As long as she(I'm speculating here now, I haven't vented the group yet) doesn't swallow the air, she won't get float and she should stop on her own, if not I will buy a grate in the tank to keep her from the surface.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store