help don't know what substrate to use

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fishbreeder101

AC Members
Apr 11, 2012
Ny
Real Name
Ali
hello there as some of you may know i changed my south american cichlid tank to an african cichlid tank. i don't have that much experience with them. i have a nice rock wall for them and they are swiming with no problems. i went to pet land discounts and asked them to test my water when they finaly did my ph was 7.4 and i know that it is too low for them. i asked how i can rais it and the worker told me to use crushed coral. does this realy work im not going to buy something that will shock my fish and kill them. i was told to put it in litttle by little so they dont get shocked. ive had 7 juveniles and 2 died now i have only 5 but its not a complete loss i still have 8 bigger ones about 2 times their size. if any one can tell me by how much the ph will rise if i use crushed coral. thank you all in advanced i realy apreciate your help.:y220e:

metricliman

Senior Member (not)
Dec 6, 2012
New York
No need to use crushed coral. Just use play sand or pool filter sand. What size is your tank?

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Crushed coral will raise you up no higher than about 7.8 if that high. What it will provide is stability to the pH of the tank, to help keep it from dropping as it naturally will from fish living in it. Iirc NYC has very soft tap water, so crushed coral would be a good idea for Africans.

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
Like the others have said, crushed coral will raise it to 7.8-8.0 depending on your current water conditions. It also makes it much easier to maintain the pH. I would highly suggest it for African tanks not only to keep a high pH but to keep the pH stable as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store