Sores on catfish.......

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Southernwind

AC Members
Jan 20, 2013
I have been in charge of my daughter's fish tank for the last few weeks as she's moving and not into her new apartment yet. She has a 30 gallon tank with a few tetras and zebra danios. Also in this tank is a big 'upside down catfish' that she's had for several years. A week or so ago it started to get a few small whitish patches on it. It looked like maybe he just got scraped in the move. But now there are many white patches on him, they are growing larger and one looks ulcerated, like an open wound. I have no idea what it is and what to do for him. I would HATE for this guy to die. I've grown quite attached. I am trying to get a photo but he's not cooperating and the glare off the glass of the tank is making it nearly impossible. Any suggestions on how I can get a picture to post for you all or what he may have and how I might help him.

Seriously, I am getting desperate and worried.

By the way, I was a member on here quite a while ago. Great group of folks here, well run forum. It's been a while and I forgot my old user name and password.

Please help me help my beloved fish.

Jannika

MTS Survivor
Mar 17, 2010
N. California
Sorry it's under these circumstances, but welcome back! Your description of the catfish was very good and indicates a bacterial infection, imo. Did your daughter leave instructions on water changes, water testing kits or any medications, by chance? He will need pristine water and antibiotics, preferably food-based if he's still eating.

Southernwind

AC Members
Jan 20, 2013
I can't find any medicated food anywhere. I have been putting erythromycin in the tank. It doesn't seem to be getting any worse but I haven't noticed much improvement, either. I noticed he likes to hover next to the heater. Could he be getting too close the the heater and getting burned?

Southernwind

AC Members
Jan 20, 2013
In reading other threads here in this subforum I wonder if I should be using something other than erythromicin. Many recommend a broad spectrum antibiotic. Should I be using something else for my cat fish?

Southernwind

AC Members
Jan 20, 2013
Okay. Thank you so much for your replies. I so want this guy to get better. Actually, this picture is from a couple days ago. The red spot isn't red anymore. I'll get some medicated flakes. I remember years ago the pet shops carried them but I couldn't find them. Of course, I only went to PetSmart and Petco. :irked: I don't really know if he's eating as he usually most active at night. If I wake up in the middle of the night to let the dogs out or whatever, I can see him cruising the tank. In the day he usually just "hovers". But since getting ill he's not been as active at night as usual. Should I stick with the Erythromicin, switch to something else, or quit all meds and do water changes?

Southernwind

AC Members
Jan 20, 2013
Doesn't look like heater burns to me. Some antibiotics in the water can knock out your biological filter, so check for ammonia. Angels Plus carries medicated flakes, if he's eating. Kanamycin is a good broad-spectrum med.

http://www.angelsplus.com/MedsAntibiotic.htm
Which medicated flake should I choose? The gram negative or gram positive susceptible one? What makes it so difficult for me is I don't know what he has or what's causing it.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Erythromycin is an excellent antibiotic when you don't know the cause. When you have thrown everything at the ailment, including the kitchen sink, eryhro is a good choice. Some of the other broad-based are the Maracyn treatments, the maracyn I and II are made to be combined and were in Maracyn+. The "Plus" will take care of both gram negative and gram positive bacterias when you don't know which to use.

If they have quit growing in size than it is possible that you are having luck. Yes, heater burn are possible and when suspected, take a larger diameter piece of pvc pipe. Drill numerous large holes in it to use as a heater guard. It will help in preventing direct contact with the heater. Make the holes slightly smaller than your smallest fish so they can't get trapped in it. (Just drill more of them) or go to your local craft store and get some plastic mesh for doing crafts and fashion it into a cylinder for the same purpose. I used the pvc simply because I had it on hand.

esoepr1976

AC Members
Oct 27, 2012
Iowa
Real Name
Emily
When I worked at PetSmart, we sold both antibiotic and antiparasitic fish pellets (they were pretty tiny so even little fish could eat them). They were with the fish medicines, not with the fish foods. But, I haven't worked there for about four years now.

Emily

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store