75 syno tank :)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
Hey everyone! Feels like its been forever since Ive posted on here.

This wednesday Im going to be getting a 75g and stand thanks to craigslist. Once i get it set up and running the stock list is going to be 24 Synodontis Lucipinnis "Dwarf Petricola". I havnt planned on adding anything else yet. Id like to get a massive swarm of these guys goin down the road when my group starts to breed. Im really looking forward to watching these grow, and hopefully quickly.

Since I only have 2 tanks these days Ive been doing 10% WC's 5-7 times a week, with one of the waterchanges being around 50%. On a 55g with a JD, firemouth, salvini, and a brown ghost knife (who doesnt belong in there but somehow keeps to himself) ive noticed quick growth and stunning colors from all of my fish. Along with 2 hagen 70s and a powerhead my water is always circulating at like 10x the volume.

Anyways, assuming i keep at that regiment and with that same equiptment on a 75, what would be the max number of these catfish i could stock?

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
Oh, I forgot to mention. The tank doesnt come with a hood, so Im going to have to make my own. These lil guys wont jump will they?

This video is what inspired me to do a tank of these lil guys: [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nKW_Lq0ok0[/YT]

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
The video did not come through but in a 75gal you could go with a lot of these guys but the only problem is that they will eat the babies so you will need to construct a part of the tank with larger gravel and place some caves (clay pots flipped over with a larger hole on top) over the gravel so the eggs will fall into the rocks to keep them from being eaten..

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Oh and mine actually bred in a pleco cave but i removed the parents before they ate them all..

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
Ive seen alot of really cool ideas for breeding them floating around on the interwebs designed so that you can remove the babies and put them in a seperate tank. I havnt gotten to see the stand in person yet, but from the pics it looks like its got room for a few 10s that i could store underneath to rear fry in.

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Yeah should be fine i have my babies in a 30gal right now and i put the parents in a 120gal

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
Are they picky about lighting being too bright? I know they are more active in groups and all, but will subdued lighting be perfered?

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
That is what they bred in was a 30gal mostly subdued lighting with a crap load of floating plants but as far as mine go i do not see them too often..

verbal

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Northern Virginia
Real Name
Jesse
It seems that synos like to swim through shaded areas more than just hang out in a cave. I think having shaded areas that you can see is more important than the overall lighting level.

It seems that Repashy usually gets them to come out pretty quickly :)

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
None of my Petricola's are shade lovers they prefer the rocks, now i cannot speak for other Syno's types..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store