Please give any advice *African Clawed Frog* Acting strangely and not eating.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JustJamie

AC Members
Jan 21, 2013
Bergen County, New Jersey
Real Name
Jamie
Hello AquariaCentral!
This is my first post here, and I have been cruising the web for information for about a week now looking for answers for my Brothers frog. This site seems to be the most informative and the forums are very friendly :}

My family has had freshwater tanks of all sorts of fish varieties for as long as I can remember. I have a great background with aquariums, and have even worked with them for about 5 years while I was in college enjoying a part time job at a pet store. I'm stumped! So I'm reaching out for advice here.

We have an African Clawed Frog, about 5 years old. We used to have two and about a month ago his little partner passed. They grew up together their whole lives. Now the remaining frog is showing some stress signs. Shedding his skin alot, not eating, not interested in moving around. His coloring has lightened in the last 2 weeks and he has stopped using his back legs at all. He still breaths well, and moved his little front legs but refuses food of any kind. We built a little temporary island in the tank to get him closer to the surface so breathing wouldn't be difficult, even though the water is well aerated, and even severely upgraded the filtration system so it would be silent and soothing trying to remove any stress from the tank. He went from eating whole medium/large feeder goldfish to nothing at all, even trying to sneak in some guppy fry just to get something in his stomach but he wont eat! I have several pics and will add them in soon. Please any and all advice is well received. Thank you for taking the time to read and help if you can :)

Jamie~

Jannika

MTS Survivor
Mar 17, 2010
N. California
Welcome JustJamie
Doesn't look like it, but did their legs or thighs turn red at all? 'Red leg' is actually a fatal bacterial infection and the #1 killer of these guys. Sorry if I'm repeating information you're already aware of, it's obvious you care a great deal.

Another thing that stands out is diet. Xenopus laevis in the wild eat all kinds of crap, but store-bought feeder fish are notorious for introducing a pathogen (bacteria, parasite or virus) into home aquariums. I'm afraid it would take a vet to determine what exactly it is. You can try an antibiotic (the same strength as sold for fish) in his water. Good luck and keep us posted.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Try offering earthworms. A few days without eating won't be a problem, though. What happened to the other one?

JustJamie

AC Members
Jan 21, 2013
Real Name
Jamie
Thank you Jannika and Oriongirl!
@Jannika : I looked almost obsessively at his skin everywhere and couldn't see any redness, I was definitely very worried about any visible infections or cuts/bruises but found non, I took sets of pics with and without flash just so everyone could see too. I picked up some water soluble vitamins a feeding treatments to give em' a little bath for nutrients, and I'm going with the less is more treatment and gradually working my way up to the recommended dosage to be sure I don't add any shock to the problem. I'm a little wary of antibiotics but if anyone recommends any I would surely try it.

@OrionGirl : I'm on it! I will either hunt some down or hit up a bait shop and try them :D maybe a little variation will coax the little fella to eat. The other one passed away quietly, over night... no signs of illness, it was quite a bummer, when we found this one a few weeks later on his back on the gravel we took him out carefully and rubbed his belly gently, and BOOM he flipped over and has been like this since. It's been about a week and 3 days since I've seen him eat, and now that we have put him in a separated island of shallow water at the top not a single guppy/pellet/goldfish or rosie has been eaten :( I'll try the earthworms and update asap.

Thanks so much for the input guys!
Jamie~

JustJamie

AC Members
Jan 21, 2013
Real Name
Jamie
Since there are two of us monitoring the little guy here is an update from my brother. Who will be joining in shortly :)

"Ok, it won't allow me to register, my phone doesn't support flash. I'll get on the pc and do it up soon. The other frog died from red leg I think, or some other infection on his leg. I might have a photo of that. Also this current frog lost equilibrium and I found him upside down bottom of tank. He may not have lost it too, might have just been able to upright himself. I will get rid of all goldfish and clean the tank, if he survives he will eat guppys. He has sort of seizures too, he uses his abdomen to pull his rear legs forward and scrunch up for a few seconds every once in awhile, but only when I'm taking care of his water or something."

Jannika

MTS Survivor
Mar 17, 2010
N. California
Thanks for the additional info. I should add that Red Leg isn't necessarily something caught from the feeder fish, but is a condition that arises from having a weakened immune system. Even if the feeder fish are healthy, perhaps they don't provide everything he needs. Many other cases are due to environmental factors such as nitrogenous waste in the water, so be sure to test it. Ammonia and nitrite should always be 0, and nitrate in 10-40 range.

From what I understand the odds are not great for recovery, and the seizures are worrisome, but let's hope for the best.

Gwen925

AC Members
Aug 30, 2009
This really looks and sounds like Chytridiomycosis. The photos aren't clear enough to be definitive, but the behavior you described especially seems indicative.

Here's a link to a successful, (and fairly easy), treatment protocol, if it's not too late, and I would not assume that it is at this point; I would start the treatment quickly.

http://www.flippersandfins.net/Lamisil.htm

I hope this helps.

JustJamie

AC Members
Jan 21, 2013
Real Name
Jamie
Gwen925, Thanks for the info, I just read both site completely and this looks promising, I'm forwarding all the info to my brother and hopefully this will help! The little guy is a fighter I just want to see him well again and eating like the little piglet he used to be lol. This site really is fantastic, It's great to get advice along with opinions and experience rather then reading up just from books and gambling on whether or not the information is good.
Thanks for reading!
Jamie~

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store