New 20 gallon tank for crawfish! Need some ideas!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Craw Chief

AC Members
Jan 20, 2013
Hey everyone! I'm just now getting back into the aquarium hobby and, when I used to be more active in it, I always kept crawfish. They were all either Procambarus clarkii or P. alleni. I just got a new 20 gallon and am at a place in life where I can afford to care for them again.

The new tank:

DSCN5126 - Copy.JPG

DSCN5125 - Copy.JPG

The tank and stand were purchased super cheap at a garage sale. I got that big PVC pipe a while back with the intention of making little crawfish caves with it. I know a hacksaw will cut through it like butter, so I'm going to cut it halfway down the middle longways and shortways. The tank did not come with a top, so I need to get a 30 inch top and lights for it. I also need a new filter and more gravel (because I don't feel like using the pink gravel that came with it).

So here's where I could really use some decorating ideas from you folks. I want to make this tank look really cool, but also a really happy place for some crawfish. Firstly, if I have white or blue crawfish, which gravel color will look best? Also, in your experience, is it better to get small or larger gravel? Or even sand? I've only ever used small gravel, but what do you all think?

It's hard for me to describe what I want to do, so that's why I came here! The main thing I want to do is make it like a rustic harbor type theme. Like what you might expect to see underwater at a fishing dock or something. This is a picture I found online which kind of illustrates the idea:

maleobscurus.jpg

Anyway like I said it's hard to articulate what I'm going for, but I would love any and all advice you can give! Thank you!!

DSCN5126 - Copy.JPG DSCN5125 - Copy.JPG maleobscurus.jpg

theemon

AC Members
Jun 14, 2009
i would get black gravel, and purchase a 2" pvc pipe, and make alot of little caves. and get a hood! they escape. i would also sugjest guppies or other fast moving fish, the crays cant catch them, but they sure try!! it keeps um happy. also feed only veggy no meat.

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown(Near Austin) ,Texas
www.patrick.international
Real Name
Patrick
I have a 20 gallon with a blue crayfish (the clarkii kind) I have a 3" PVC being held down by sand (substrate) I have a giant bunch of hornwort, and for the most part it is barren so that the crayfish can roam around.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

rastoma

AC Members
Feb 29, 2012
Jasper, TN
also feed only veggy no meat.
I know veggies are important, but no meat at all? My crays love shrimp pellets and crab cuisine. They mostly get Ken's vegetable pellets with calcium but I don't think I've heard/read before not to give them any meat at all. In the wild they scavenge meat all the time, when they can.

theemon

AC Members
Jun 14, 2009
actually, in the wild there deit is 90% veggy, only 10% meat. and you can do that in captivity. i say no meat because it makes them aggressive. mine do get some meat, the occasional fish that dies, or the few guppies they catch per year. but i strictly feed them veggies

shrimp lover

Registered Member
Jan 30, 2013
from my expierience get about a lot of gravel about a 5 inch deep large gravel bed large gravel for the babies to hide and rocks (if the crawfish are big enough theyll make a home under the rocks

Craw Chief

AC Members
Jan 20, 2013
Hey guys thanks for the advice and ideas. The pictures in OP are like 2 weeks old now. If anybody ever stumbles across this thread again, please do not be stupid and do what I did. If you notice in the OP, there is a valve there in the tank. I thought it looked cool, but then I realized how dangerous heavy metals like copper are in aquariums, especially to crawfish. So I removed it immediately. Luckily there was never anything in the tank at the same time as that valve and I did a full water change after I removed it. So if you're thinking about decorating your aquarium, just be careful! Avoid metal at all costs!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store