Favorite dwarf shrimp?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lolliemck

AC Members
Jun 22, 2007
Greater Atlanta, Georgia
Real Name
Laura
I am looking to rehome my ghost shrimp (which practically survived the zombie apocalypse that is columnaris) together some variety of Neocaridina.

I have a fluval chi, no fish, but have not switched to a sponge filter as I want to maintain the look of the tank. I would like to breed if possible to try to support a small fraction if my hobby (mostly for satisfaction reasons). I do have a 20 long I plan on setting up to help with this.

But recommendations would be great!

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1359027016.502503.jpg

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Whats your initial startup budget for the shrimp? Personally I think Cardinals looks nice, along with crystal blacks. They should readily breed for you. Most of the others I like are rather difficult to breed and much more sensitive to conditions and $$$.

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
Crystal reds for the caridinas and yellow for the neos. Gives a mix of colors with no chance of interbreeding.

rastoma

AC Members
Feb 29, 2012
Jasper, TN
I would like to breed if possible to try to support a small fraction if my hobby (mostly for satisfaction reasons). I do have a 20 long I plan on setting up to help with this.
Not to be negative, but you're not going to support even a small fraction of your hobby with shrimp in a 20 gallon tank. You need another tank to place babies.... preferably 3. As it will be next to impossible to take out the appropriate aged shrimp that you're selling.

Most of the common shrimp in the hobby live about 2 years. You would not want to have one tank with a mixture of adults of babies and not know how the shrimp are that you're selling. It won't happen the first few months, but eventually you're going to have adult shrimp that are close to end of their life along with other adult shrimp that are not. You won't have happy customers if you sell shrimp that end up dying in a few weeks or months.

Buying breather bags, extra food for the extra shrimp... more frequent water changes because of more shrimp will eat any tiny profits made from a few sales.

If you can sale locally then you may be able to break even. I'm not saying don't try... but realize if it was possible to even make a few dollars with common shrimp in one small tank then everyone would do it.

lolliemck

AC Members
Jun 22, 2007
Greater Atlanta, Georgia
Real Name
Laura
Rastoma-

I have a small etsy store and photography business and know exactly what you're talking about. All of my photo shoots from 2012 just barely paid for my camera upgrade and my etsy store pays for Christmas every year (as well as funding my aquarium love- it's nice having money deposited in to my Paypal account!). I am just someone who has an incredibly hard time sitting still :)

I appreciate the suggestions! I'm thinking CRS are pretty great thus far!

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store