Zhongshan Risheng heater

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SiYang

AC Members
Dec 26, 2012
I just bought a 150 watt risheng heater for cheap and was just wondering if its a good heater or not

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
What size tank is it for? I think most of them are imported from China, so I don't see how it could be any worse than any lower cost unit from big box pet stores.

Joel

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
It's for my 20 gallon endler tank and that's true thanks I just didn't want my fish to fry in the tank someday..
I use the cheaper Marineland brand 100watt that came with my 29gal kit and it will heat the water to 20deg above ambient, but it pretty much runs continuously. A 150watt would be perfect for my 29. Maybe a bit on the heavy end for a 20, but keep an eye on it and see how it does.

Joel

rastoma

AC Members
Feb 29, 2012
Jasper, TN
I am all for saving money and typically go for heaters in the lower end of the price range. But, I will not trust an off brand from China (has nothing to do with the country itself). Does it have a plug where the two blades that plug into the wall socket are identical? Most plugs will have one blade slight larger, for polarity. The cheap bad quality electrical appliances from China (again I have nothing against the country and will buy cheap battery powered electronics and flashlights from there all day long), use blades that are the same width. That's usually a sign that it's very cheap with no QC (quality control).

Go to Ken's fish. He has some heaters in the $8-$10 range that are great. You have to pay shipping... whereas I know most of the cheap China products have free shipping). But you'll only be paying $3-$4 more overall and have a LOT better product and less chance of killing your fish.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
rastoma, that is a good point. At a minimum you'd want to make sure the heater is Underwriter's Laboratories (UL) listed. Something not will be more of a risk cooking your tank or much worse. YIKES.

SiYang

AC Members
Dec 26, 2012
Yea all that is true I guess I'll just go buy a better heater my cousin always tell me to get the good stuff for my expensive fishes as well so thanks a lot guys ill probably go get a new heater

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Failure is possible with any heater but in my opinion you're really rolling the dice when it comes to the cheap no name stuff, not worth saving $20 now when it might cost you hundreds later.

Freshy most of the cheap stuff on ebay isn't UL listed, and I wouldn't use most of that stuff but some of the cheap light fixtures and canister filters from China aren't bad even though they're not UL.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
You're tigh TL. I've had some China mart special, non UL rated electrical tools, LED lights and whatnot. It all still works for me!

For what ever reason, I'd be more apt to run a non UL filter over a non UL heater though. Still have visions of a boiling tank of fish soup. Ugh.. LOL!!

Joel

MelvinBradley

Registered Member
Jun 7, 2013
I am all for saving money and typically go for heaters in the lower end of the price range. But, I will not trust an off brand from China (has nothing to do with the country itself). Does it have a plug where the two blades that plug into the wall socket are identical? Most plugs will have one blade slight larger, for polarity. The cheap bad quality electrical appliances from China (again I have nothing against the country and will buy cheap battery powered electronics and flashlights from there all day long), use blades that are the same width. That's usually a sign that it's very cheap with no QC (quality control).

Go to Ken's fish. He has some heaters in the $8-$10 range that are great. You have to pay shipping... whereas I know most of the cheap China products have free shipping). But you'll only be paying $3-$4 more overall and have a LOT better product and less chance of killing your fish.
Very hard to tell, but cheap heaters and flashlight are not very good. I have a affordable heater not too expensive and it does work well. You need to spend some money not much to get right quality:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store