Ants as Food?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Aqualung

AC Members
Jan 31, 2004
Visit site
I will have some juvenile celebes halfbeaks soon, and I've been trying to find as much info on them as I can. What I've discovered is that not much info is available.

I have found out that they will eat live, frozen, and flake foods, but they do best on live food.

What I am wondering is.......are ants ok to feed to fish? The reason I ask is that there are ants all over the house, and I figured instead of just killing them I could turn them into free fish food. Unless of course it's a bad idea for some reason. I plan to feed them a variety of food, but was wondering if ants could be a part of their diet. Anybody know?

meangene714

AC Members
Feb 27, 2004
SoCal
Visit site
Good question...sorry to say I don't have an answer. But it seems like it could work. Ants are found in nature and I'm sure that many species of fish feed on ants that fall into the water. I've thought about feeding spiders to my fish. I am deathly afraid of spiders and I have many creeping throughout my house. I hope someone else can help you with your question.

Aqualung

AC Members
Jan 31, 2004
Visit site
Thanks for the link BFD. Guess I should have done a search before asking :p

I guess there shouldn't be a problem with it. Just wanted to make sure they don't carry some weird diseases or toxins, etc. that might be harmful to the fish.

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
I haven't read the old thread yet, (will do that)but can say that I used to pitch a few ants into my Oscars, and gouramii's and they loved them. Can't say how much nutrition they gave the fish, but there was some fun involved anyway. I would be carefull with spiders or highly toxic ants though, for starters, spiders freak me out a bit (hate to admit that) but some of them are pretty wicked in the venom they contain i.e daddy long legs, wolf spiders, brown recluse all quite common in my basement

Clownloach458

Three years, so litte posts
Nov 23, 2001
Beckley Wva
Ants should be fine, i cant find anything wrong...

cdawson

AC Members
Jan 6, 2003
Vancouver BC
Visit site
Originally posted by zin
daddy long legs venom=myth

That is one of the WORST urban myths out there, something stupid about they're the most venomous, but their fangs aren't strong enough to pierce skin :rolleyes:

As for ants, they're a great staple. My angels love the one I drop in for them whenever I find a couple that snuck into the fishroom. Try to pick them up while they're still moving, usually I just lick the tip of my finger and try to pick them up still moving. Otherwise 'SQUISH' and drop them in.
Tetras especially love them, it's always amusing watching a red eye swim around with a wiggling ant protruding from it's mouth :D

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
That is one of the WORST urban myths out there, something stupid about they're the most venomous, but their fangs aren't strong enough to pierce skin
Sorry if I mis-spoke, I picked that up from a fairly reliable source (although no source is infallible), hadn't heard it from anyone else. Where do Wolf spiders fit in, I know they are Pretty much non-aggresive, and almost never bite humans (not sure if they even can)but are they really that venemous? Of course Brown Recluse is cut and dry. I've been to the hospital twice on that one. And how could it affect your fish if they ate them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store