German blue rams

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
darkredtigr.deviantart.com
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
I recently bought 3 german bue rams, but I've lost 2 and planing on going to get th money back from Petco for the two I've lost. But since the other 2 died, the remaining ram hides up by the heater and she won't eat. I don't know what's wrong with her, she did have her fin nipped at when she was in petco. She will follow some frine shrimp I put in the tank, but she won't eat. I could get 2 more rams and hope that'll make her feel better.

Any ideas? She started doing this after a water change the other day, planing to do another due to ich on my neons.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
How quickly did the rams die? Is your water testing OK? Maybe quarantine the neons with ich and keep treating both tanks?

Joel

rastoma

AC Members
Feb 29, 2012
Jasper, TN
Petco and Petsmart get blasted a lot for the quality of their fish. And many times it's deserved. But having 2 out of 3 fish die and the 3rd acting strange and not eating is more likely due to something in your tank than bad fish from Petco.

What are your water parameters? How old is the tank?

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
I bought the rams with 3 black neons which died within 12 hours of buying them. I had the rams for about a week when 2 died. When they died, my year old upside down catfish died for no reason, and he was eating the day he died. I don't know what's going on with my fish.

I'm taking some of my water to Petsmart to be tested in a few days, have to do another water change. The tank has been running for over a year now. but was drained and moved 5 months ago to where I live now.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
you should invest in reagent test kit(freshwater master test)

also look into quarantine tank ...

fish coming from large box stores often carry pathogens..many of the box stores use community sumps for filtration and can infect any tank on that sump system.
btw..no need to move the neons to another tank if they have ich..everything in the tank where the infected fish were could also be infected.. you should then treat the entire tank.
it's hard to assist you until we can get water parameters.

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
My dad has that kit and he says its worthless and not worth the $32, I could see if I could burrow it. I am treating the whole tank for ich, and it's not really that bad like it normally is for me. I started treating the whole tank when I noticed the ich. Going to do a water change soon, just did one on my ten due to fin rot and the betta dying.

If I get another tank, my grandma will flip. I can't put my endlers in the larger tank and i don't want them eaten. Plus I'm using my ten to grow out 2 kuhli loaches. As I said, I can get my water tested at Petsmart for free.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
petsmart and other box stores may not use reagent tests..they often us the test strips..which are usually not as accurate.

problems in fish tanks are often attributed to water quality issues.
btw the master test kit is far from worthless and they are available on line for less than $32 or you can ick up the separate test kits pH NH3/NH4. No2 usually for about $5 ea

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
I have no job and money to buy the kit or anything. I can only use the strips which seem to work just fine. I could use them till i can get a job and so on. The last ram died.. so once I get gas in my car, I'm going to get my money back from Petco for all 3 rams and maybe just get some plants.

esoepr1976

AC Members
Oct 27, 2012
Iowa
Real Name
Emily
For the fish that died, definitely just get your money back, and wait until you get your tanks straightened out before buying more fish. The test strips can tell you if a cycled tank is suddenly not cycled, or if something is suddenly changing, but they are not very good at telling you accurate measurements of the important tests like ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. If you have lots of fish getting sick and dying, I would guess it is your water quality, and I would find a way to get it tested with a good liquid test kit. Only when your water tests perfect, and all your fish are healthy would I buy more. How are you treating for ich? I personally prefer adding salt and increasing the temperature, rather than adding harsh medications.

Emily

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
I haven' had many deaths. Mostly the new fish have been dying. Only one old fish had died and an old shrimp. I do water changes every week or so. I'm treating it with a high temp and just some meds, I only use a little bit about a few drops. I don't like using salt in my tanks plus the ick seems to be gone. So I'm going to do another water change.

All 3 rams died, so I'm going to get the money back for all 3 rams. They cost me $21 and I want that back, that could be my gas money. But Petco only gives store credit or a gift card.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store