Parasites our Columnaris?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ginaphotos

AC Members
Aug 9, 2012
Last time I buy locally! I just gave about 10 guppies to a friend and purchased 3 new ones right after. my tank had been normal and healthy since I set it up about 7 months ago. Well one of the three fish I bought started looking rough three days after I got him. I put him in a breeder box so the other fish wouldn't pick on him. A couple days later I treated him with melafix. Over a weeks time his fins and tail rotted away completely. He still managed to eat and tried to act normal. It got a little too sad so we ended up ending it for him. I noticed one of my females seemed to be getting chewed on. She only lived 2 more days. Then I noticed another female with a curved spine. She started shimmying. All the fish, especially the new ones, rub their gills on everything. The fish seem to start out looking like their fins are being chewed on (I haven't seen and foul play) and then their scales look like they're peeling. They're not raised bristly though. A couple others seem to have a little shimmy, but the one female is very noticeable. They are clamping their tails. Strange part is the only symptoms that the two new females left are experiencing is the itching. The water Params are normal, I cranked the heat up. It's a small 10 gallon. I've been doing 50% changes daily for a few days and started adding salt.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ginaphotos

AC Members
Aug 9, 2012
On day 3 of using AP quick cure. I'm getting discouraged because I heard it can stop itching in 24 hours and the fish seem itchier! I also heard that treating parasites with it can take up to a week. I lost 1 adult since my last post, 3 fry, and one month old fry. most of the adults no longer clamp their tails and the ones that do have them less clamped than before. Other than that things seem pretty grim. A female had chunks of scales fall from her tail, only 1 is shimmying badly, most of them are very pale. I'm also worried about a CAE that I have in there. It's harder to recognize if she is behaving strangely. (she is a mature adult that has always been relaxed and unaggressive). Although many people do not like them, we have owned her for a very long time and she has been such a sweetheart. I would be devastated to lose her to something so awful.

Southernwind

AC Members
Jan 20, 2013
I wish I could help you. I wonder if Coppersafe would help them any. I have no idea what's wrong with your fish. So sorry.

sorberj

wannabe fish whisperer
Sep 14, 2009
McCleary, WA
Real Name
Jerad
Jungle parasite cure has worked for me with parasitic infections in the past.

Please forgive any typos. This was sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using the MonsterAquariaNetwok App

ginaphotos

AC Members
Aug 9, 2012
I have lost an additional adult and about three fry. It doesn't appear to be columnaris anymore, the symptoms remain the same as before. I'm continuing to treat the tank. Some if the adults are looking much better. I'm not expecting many more to die, although I think there are a few fish that will not be able to overcome their current symptoms and eventually die. I really think it may be a parasite. The medication the tank is on now seemed to really help with the clamped fins and stopped them from getting worse. I'm still open for suggestions though since there is still signs of itchiness and i'm closing in on a week of treatment! I just started classes and I work as well, so unfortunately I cut down on the daily water changes to every other day (I have two other healthy tanks to take care of as well)

I was hearing about the Jungle product while researching my issue. It seemed to work for a few people. I used a Jungle fizz tab product that completely destroyed a tank. I had to remove all of my fish and empty the tank... Which ended up being coated with a film and needed to be cleaned and have substrate and decorations/plants replaced before re-cycling.
I have been skeptical of the brand since. if my tank isn't better in a week or so I may stop the current treatment and do large water changes for a few days and try it anyway since it is a different product. Any input on that?

ginaphotos

AC Members
Aug 9, 2012
Since my last message... 3 fry died that night and I came home from work this morning and 5 more were dead or near death. I haven't seem itching yet this morning. If I see little to none i'm going to discontinue the use of the AP quick cure. It's been known to stress fish out and i'm wondering if it's causing the fry to die. I might post am updated video. The young yellow cobra with the clamped tail in the video I posted did a 180. I was almost positive he was going to die at one point but he's looking back to normal now. I've gotten a few more problems since. One male that didn't show symptoms has been trying to jump out. I found him in the breeder box with the fry last night (I left the lid off, whoops) and when he isn't jumping, he's isolated to a corner. Again, this could be the meds.

ginaphotos

AC Members
Aug 9, 2012
This run is almost over (knock on wood.) I ended up removing all the gravel from the tank for a few days and drying it out while I kept treating the tank. I only have 4 fry left out of the 30 and I just let them out of the breeder box. I lost 6-7 adults in all. I think that the quick cure is what took out most of my fry. I have two gravid females right now and I can see the growing babies. That's the best sign yet. During all of this, my gravid females bellies would turn red and they wouldn't give birth. hopefully this is the end of it all. I want my tank back already :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store