Absolutely and Completely Overwhelmed by SW

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dopey

AC Members
Dec 5, 2002
Scranton, PA
Visit site
I've kept a heavily planted 90 gal FW for years. This is not an uncomplicated proposition. While SW folks may disagree, there are dozens of variables that need to be considered and balanced to have healthy fish, healthy plants, and no algae.

However, I broke down my whole set up about a year ago due to major home redecoration and the need to build a new stand. I decided that I would love to convert to a FOWLR, and then evolve that into a full blown reef. I figured my 90 gal would be a decent size. Not huge, but respectable.

I started my research and.... good lord!!!

After much researching all I've managed to do is make myself afraid to take a single step because, undoubtedly, it will be the wrong one!! Every time I find a thread that says "For beginners" I am totally lost in the terminology! And every time someone says "This is what you need." Somebody else says "No... first you need THIS! And, whatever you do, don't do that other thing the other person told you to do!"

I think I need a good solid starter book and/or instructional website, rather than reading through the forums. For somebody with no knowledge, reading the forums is, for lack of a stronger word, daunting.

Any suggestions on a good book or website that can give me a good, straight forward, step-by-step plan for starting a FOWLR setup? I'm considering going back to FW planted, since at least I'm comfortable there.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
I'm not sure of any good beginner how to sites, but I learned most of what I know through various forums, and trial and error. You don't really NEED a whole lot to setup a FOWLR, but its a good idea to have/do some things more then the bare requirments, especially if going reef later on(sump for example doable without but very good idea to have)

BoCoMo

In need of grace
Mar 2, 2009
Missouri
I made the switch from high tech planted over to salt (not totally still have planted tanks going) so maybe I can help. What are you having questions about? There are a lot of options out there and more than one way to set the aquarium up.

Substrate:
You can do deep sand bed (DSB) shallow sand bed (SSB) or bare bottom / If you opt for DSB (I did SSB) you can do the DSB in the tank or do SSB in the tank and a DSB in your sump. (multiple ways all of which would be fine)

Filtration:
You can do sumpless setups (usually relying on the live rock, waterchanges, maybe some macroalgae in the tank, topoffs to maintain the reef (I have seen some very beautiful and successful sumpless) or you can still do sumpless and rely on HOB or external types of skimmers, filters, reactors, etc... You can do a sump (what I like) and drill the tank (what I did) or use an over the rim overflow (these make me vervous) the sump increases water volume (which means any mistakes made, etc... will be diluted throughout more volume) allows for a place to hide things like skimmers, reactors, heaters, etc... I highly recommend a skimmer (there are various types) a phosphate reduction method (refugium, GFO reactor, bio pellets, zeolites, etc... [I have used GFO, Carbon, Purigen, ZEOvit, biopellets but never a fuge]) and some way to maintain calcium & alkalinity (Calcium reactor, A/B dosing from a supplier, balling method [I use the balling method and auto-dosers to maintain calc, alk, and mag]) other than that it is all bells and whistles. (reefkeepers, probes, automation, dosing of additives like ZEOvit system)

Maintenance:
Make sure to keep the system topped off (with freshwater - treated tap or RO/DI [I used RO/DI and a tunze osmolator to auto top off for me] as salt does not evaporate and you want to maintain as close to consistant salinity as possible. and do water changes (this is why you will need salt - if you are doing a reef be sure to use a reef salt - I use seachem but there are many good ones to chose from)

Hope this helps! Ask questions and lots of them! I'm subscribed. :)

khmerspec

WanaBAhReefer
May 17, 2008
Sacramento, Ca
www.5linx.net
Real Name
Van
Just do your research. You've had and ran a planted fw system, and imo it is more tedious than a FWOLR tank. And I agree, reading posts on forums suck. However, I purchased a SW book, and it was wasted money compared to information I've gained from those I consider experts here, because when I had questions, the book couldn't answer them. Also the book called for a "beginner setup" that is frowned upon, such as using 2" of curshed coral for your substrate.

Personally I think a 90 gallon is a great size. Cost wise, big or small, things add up to about the same, a lot. But with larger setups, your system won't die out from small minor mistakes.
If your not sure about something, just ask. I've been at this forum for a while, and the majority are very nice.

I made the jump from fw to FWOLR with the hopes of reefing many years ago. So I'll share my experience and take what you can from it.

Setup with your goal in mind is important, how you do things will be based on your personal preferences.
Look at how others set up their tanks, bare tanks and full tanks. I've seen all different kinds, and they are all beautiful. See which you like.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
If you can do a planted tank, you can do SW. There are many ways to accomplish your goals, so most of those "conflicting" posts you have read are typically going to be a result of what worked for those individual hobbyists. There are some definite "no-nos" in the hobby but since you have planted tank experience, you should be able to see how others have done things and form your own opinion about what makes sense for you and you planned tank.

I agree that a 90 is a great tank.

Fire away any questions you may have about what you have read. You will get the help you need.

khmerspec

WanaBAhReefer
May 17, 2008
Sacramento, Ca
www.5linx.net
Real Name
Van
Only thing about LFS is make sure you talk to someone with years of experience. I've noticed a lot, such as PetSmart, of workers with little FW and zero SW experience explaining things to customers.

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown(Near Austin) ,Texas
www.patrick.international
Real Name
Patrick
Only thing about LFS is make sure you talk to someone with years of experience. I've noticed a lot, such as PetSmart, of workers with little FW and zero SW experience explaining things to customers.
With most of the locally owned LFS's near me they have small biographies of their workers, and you can tell how much experience they have. Another thing to do at the LFS is to ask to see their equipment.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store