Starting shell dweller tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dino

AC Members
Jan 27, 2013
Hi this is my first post on this forum. I have been researching shell dwellers for a while now and most of the best information I found was on this forum. Thanks to many forum members for sharing their knowledge with others.
As the title suggests this is another starting shell dwellers post.I have decided on a N. multifasciatus species tank.
This species is appealing for its colony behavior more than anything. They also happen to be readily available.
I have the option to set up any size tank I want for them and the space to accommodate up to a 48" aquarium.
I like the looks of the long low tanks such a the 20 long and 30 breeder.
What size would be ideal in your opinion? I would like to start with about a dozen multies and not have to upgrade the aquarium when the colony begins to grow. Thanks in advance for your suggestions. I would also like to say thanks for all of the information regarding: shellie species,water conditions, lighting, shells, substrate, aquascape, plants, feeding etc that has been shared by forum members in other threads.

Pearl

AC Members
Aug 12, 2009
Michigan
Real Name
Vicki
I'd go with a 40 long because you'd have the option of adding other compatible species if you later decide you want more variety. Good luck and welcome to AC!

Dino

AC Members
Jan 27, 2013
Thanks for the reply. You may be right. I hadn't thought about leaving room to grow beyond the shellie colony.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Welcome to AC and thanks i am sure i have contributed to the shellies in the past.. As for a 48" aquarium you should go with a 33gal it is as long as a 55gal but not quite that tall and makes for a lot of extra room, due to conspefic aggression at times with these guys a member of the colony is sometimes outed and could easily live on the other side of the tank..

Dino

AC Members
Jan 27, 2013
Thanks Pittbull. I did some research and found the 33 gallon long tank produced by Aqueon. That looks like plenty of space without wasted height. 48x12x12 should create a big tank feel when stocked with little shellies. I like the fact that the footprint allows the use of lighting and a stand produced for one of the most common aquariums; accessories will be easy to find with plenty of options. I have never seen this tank in a retail store. I'll have to see if my LFS can order one. Thanks for the suggestion and all the helpful information you have shared regarding Shelies.

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
No problem, glass cages http://www.glasscages.com/ should have them but depending where you live it may just be as good to see if a local pet store can order you one, not sure if you have a Petsmart in your area they might be able to get you one as well.. Yep it is a nice tank i had one on the bottom of a 55gal double iron stand before, wish i never got rid of it..

Dino

AC Members
Jan 27, 2013
Just a quick update: The LFS will have my 33 long in stock this Thursday. This shop has been in business since the 60's and there is very little they can't/won't do for a customer. I'm pretty happy and looking forward to getting this started.

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Cool deal glad you were able to get one through your local guys.. Is it coming with a stand..

Dino

AC Members
Jan 27, 2013
Another quick update: I picked up the 33 long aquarium today. $85.00. Thats the good news.
The bad news is none of the stands met spousal approval. It looks like I'll be spending some time in the shop. A DIY stand to match the furniture is in my future. I'm sure the end result will be worth the trouble. It will probably be a few weeks before I can post pics of the tank set up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store