FW looking to start a salt tank- advice?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LauraL

AC Members
Jan 1, 2009
N.C.
Hi, all. I've had FW tanks for years, and am now looking to add a salt tank. A LFS with great SW stock has recently opened a store near me, so I think I'm ready to do this. But first, a few questions:

1. I'm looking for a set-up between 55 and 75. I'd like a lot of coral (eventually) and invertebrates - stars, shrimp, crabs. What set-up do you recommend?
2. What kind of lighting is best for coral?
3. . How much live rock should you start with?
4. The store sells pre-mixed saltwater for 99 cents a gallon. Is that reasonable?
5. Given that I'm not having to do a lot of chemistry, how much more time will a salt tank require than a fresh tank does?
6. Looking to start (after cycling) with a handful of blue damsels, a mandarin goby, and a wrasse over a month or two. Want to add a star or two and a shrimp. Is that too much?

Thanks,
LauraL

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
T5HO, Metal Halde, LED's can all work great for coral, you would be looking at a 6 bulb t5ho fixture, 2 pendent or 2 bulb MH fixture, LED's have a few different options. Do you know what type of corals you want to keep yet and a budget for the lighting?

You can start with all dry rock if you want, it will take the cycle to a bit longer, but eliminates the chances of any bad hitchhikers. My suggestion for minimal start out would be atleast 1-1.5lbs of rock per gallon, and for quicker cycling atleast 10-15lbs of that being live rock.

In the long run it would be cheaper to buy your own RODI unit, it will cost you about $129-199 depending on what options you go with, don't forget you will also need regular RODI for top off's. If you're going to be running a sump initial fill up could almost be the cost of a RODI unit. But the answer to your question 99 cents is ok I think the going rate in my area for premix is 75 cents to $1.50.

Once up and going SW doesn't take that much more time then say a planted FW, you'll have equipment that needs occasional cleaning, a few extra tests that FW doesn't need, more varied feedings, fish and corals have to be fed.

Skip the Damsel's, yes they're very cheap and pretty but also very aggressive 99% of people who buy them regret it later on. As far as the Mandarin will you be running a sump? Mandarins generally only eat pod's and can be difficult to train on other foods, once your tanks is up and cycled buy some pods and let the population build for a few months before adding a mandarin if you're not going to have a sump you'll probably have to buy more pods every month or two. Do you know what type of wrasse you want yet? Not all of them are reef safe. Same goes for star's and some need a more established setup thats been running for awhile, brittles or serpent stars are ok for newer setups. I'd avoid coral banded but most other shrimp will be fine.

khmerspec

WanaBAhReefer
May 17, 2008
Sacramento, Ca
www.5linx.net
Real Name
Van
1. Bigger is better imo. I started with a 55 gallon, and just didn't like how the tanks looked.
2. *points up*. I switched from t5HO to led because I live in a small house, and during the summer it puts out enough heat to make me sweat. LED has a higher inital cost, but I believe it is worth it, because you wouldn't need to replace bulbs every 12-16 months.
3. Live rock is a natual filter. Look up the kinds of corals you like and think about how much rock you'll need to support them.
4. 99cents is the norm for premixed salt. Good to start out with, but if you can afford it purchase a RODI unit, so you can top off and mix your own.

5. I might get stoned for this, but I almost never test my water. I look at my tank daily, and if everything is alive and moving I'm good. If something disappears, or corals don't open, I'll test to see where my water is at. Personally when I have a problem, testing my water weekly dosen't really help. If something dies, I know ammonia is spiking.

However, I am viligant about maintanence. I keep the water topped over every other day. I make sure all of my pumps are working. I make sure all of my bulbs are good. I make sure my pets are well fed. I do not over fed. I keep the glass and my ATS(algae turf scrubber) clean(ish).

6. I am against cycling tanks with live animals. But, ditto on Damsels and Mandarin. The majority of Damsel species are very aggressive and territorial, so adding more fish after the tank is finished cycling could lead to some serious bullying. Having more than one Damsel will lead to fighting. Trying to net them out is also a pain.
As for Mandarin, they can clean up all of your pods overnight. Trying to feed them frozen is a hit/miss.

Research any other animals you like before purchasing. I found out the hard way that a "pretty starfish" that my daughter wanted also likes eating corals. And some shrimp are predatory.

As for your stock so far, no it wouldn't be too much.

LauraL

AC Members
Jan 1, 2009
N.C.
Thank you both! I'm not looking to add a sump just yet, so your advice is really helpful. I really love mandarin gobis and coral banded shrimp. Is there some way I can have both? I'm patient and can wait weeks or months- I've had FW tanks for years, so I understand it'll take a while to cycle.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Some people manage to keep coral bandeds that stay model citizens for years, however generally as they get older and reach adulthood they can become aggressive, they'll kill other shrimp, steal food from or nip corals, and can possibly prey on smaller fish. If you want a nice looking shrimp that shouldn't harm anything Blood red fire shrimp are quite pretty looking and in a 55g+ you could keep a pair of them with some other species of shrimp. People do say the Golden Coral Banded is much more docile so if you like the looks of the CBS maybe read up some on the golden CBS, they're a little harder to find LFS may have to special order it or you may have to go with an online vendor, they're a bit more pricey too usually $20+

khmerspec

WanaBAhReefer
May 17, 2008
Sacramento, Ca
www.5linx.net
Real Name
Van
madrin are doable. What I did wasmake a plexiglass box, drilled holes in it and put some LR in it. So the madrine wasn't able to get in, but pods have a "safe house." I burried it under my rock work.

Coral banded are baddies. I've yet hear of anyone successfully keeping them with corals and a majority of other livestock. There might be that one guy who is able to, but would you risk 100s $$? Personally I love cleaner shrimps. Watch them, and you'll love them more than fishies.

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
+1 vote for cleaner (sometimes called skunk for reasons which escape me) shrimp. Constantly out and about and visible, always trying desperately to, as their name says, clean the fish whether they want to be cleaned or not...my guys ignore him completely so he sulks and goes to clean tank walls or pumps or something. :)

And for starter fish, blue-green chromis can't be beat. Small, yes, but lovely coloring which will change from palest green to dark lavender depending on where they are in position to lights.Shoaling fish so you want a minimum of 4-6, but that should be no problem in a tank your size. And of course the very first starter creatures, your cleanup crew. Blueleg hermit crabs of course but for snails I recommend the smaller turbos, 1/2-3/4 inch or so, over the larger ones that go an inch and a half. The big guys are freakin bulldozers as they roam, they knock over rocks even, and forget about putting a coral up on one unless you superglue it in place. That plug will be on the tank bottom before morning.

I never thought I would have a sw tank either but I am loving it. :)

LauraL

AC Members
Jan 1, 2009
N.C.
Thank you all so much. I DO like the blood red shrimp, too. I haven't had very good luck with FW ghost shrimp. Hoping their SW relatives are a bit hardier. And the store does carry chromis, so thanks for the heads up on the damsels.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store