Leaking/non-leaking aquarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dbowman544

Registered Member
Jan 29, 2013
Hi,

My first post here. So in my house there was a in-wall 72G, bow front, 48" wide aquarium. We moved in 2.5 years ago, and didn't do anything with it. Not sure how long before that it had been dry. Anyway, we didn't think too much of the way it was supported, so finally got around to adding extra support on other side of wall. Carefully removed the aquarium, took it outside, and set it on a 1""+ thick very flat wooden board. Filled it, and within a few hours, it lost top 25% of water, and settled at that. Thought I had a leaker, and tried to research ways of sealing it or buying a new one. Then this weekend, filled it again to see which side seam was leaking, but now it doesn't leak! For 3 days, water level is steady at the top.

So: should I trust this aquarium? Did it settle down after being dry for years, and now won't leak (well, other than developing one later through more age..)? Does being outside in the cold (this is the bay area, so about 40F at night to 60F at day, no direct sun where the tank is kept) help stop a leak? Or once it's inside again, will heat expansion affect things? I would assume that heat expansion would help the silicone expand and stop leaks but who knows.

I am just wondering whether I should go ahead and put it back in the wall, and start it up, or will I regret the mess it might create if it starts leaking again.

Thanks,

David

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Weird. I don't think I would trust it as it currently stands, especially being an in-wall tank. I would imagine the cold could have constricted the silicone but that should have made the leak more prevalent. 72 bows are still made so you should be able to find a replacement fairly easily. I know that means more money but I would feel better about it if it was my tank/house.

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
I agree. You don't want to take chances with a filled tank indoors (especially built into a wall).

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Any place that you could put it inside on a floor to fill and test?

I'd probably reseal it, but that's just me.

dbowman544

Registered Member
Jan 29, 2013
Thanks for the replies. OrionGirl, good idea. I could just bring the board plus aquarium inside and test it again before hoisting it into the wall. Or just get a new one, since the wife is pretty dubious of this leak/no leak one. Maybe I could still get a good used price for it from someone who would use it on a stand..

David

Bushkill

Registered Member
Dec 1, 2011
Bushkill, PA
Real Name
Angelo
If it lost water, especially that much, the outer beads (silicone between the panes) has to be compromised. Re-sealing it by stripping a replacing the outer beads (the silicone that's visible on the inside corners), won't do anything for that situation. The main purpose for the outer bead is to simply protect the inner bead. With a 72, especially an in-wall, I'd want some more insurance. The cost of the bare tank isn't your biggest expense, so getting a new or one that's known to be a non-leaker would be a better road I my opinion. Tearing the whole tank down and re-sealing is just a big, time-consuming job that shouldn't be underestimated.

oo7genie

Hello my fintime gal...
Nov 18, 2010
Eugene, OR
Real Name
Rick
A leaking tank is incapable of fixing itself.

Unless you can be 100% positive that something besides a leak caused 25% of the water to disappear from the tank when you first filled it, it needs to be resealed, or you need a new tank.

75 gallons of water leaking into the wall isn't something worth gambling on.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store