Cichlid suggestion for my barb tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lovemybarbs

AC Members
Dec 23, 2006
Midwest
See my signature for my fish list. The blue gourami is the only one I'm worried about being mean. The barbs are a young school and stay to themselves. The tetras rule the roost.

livebearerfreak

you are hypnotized! LOL
May 31, 2005
fairchild wi 54741
Real Name
douglas harvey
rams/kribs/apistos/multies (shell dwellers)/keyholes, just about anything under 3.5 inches.. and up the school of otos to atleast 6, they like to be in groups, same with loaches.

lovemybarbs

AC Members
Dec 23, 2006
Midwest
I was stalking petsmart for their dollar sale ottos, but they have been out for weeks. I want some! They were on sale all month. :( I went today too. They will get them in when they are full price of course. We don't have many fish store options near me. 30 miles for a decent place. it's annoying.

lovemybarbs

AC Members
Dec 23, 2006
Midwest
I think I'll get a pair of rams to start. I've been reading up. Pink belly is the female. I'll go after work.

A. Nonymous

AC Members
Feb 4, 2008
What kind of barbs? Cherries are fairly mild mannered, but tigers are mean and nippy.

Sent from my XT907 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

lovemybarbs

AC Members
Dec 23, 2006
Midwest
seven tiger and three cherry barbs. Eight Buenos Aeres tetras. The tetras pretty much rule the roost. The tiger barbs are a young school and they stay out of the tetras way.

glasman

Happy fishies please!
Dec 9, 2009
Louisville Ky
Real Name
Scott
Ive got 8 tiger barb, 3 rosys, in my 120 with a large Chocolate cichlid and a 6 inch Vieja and they all do great together. Severums would be fine too. Alot of Geophagus would work too.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

lovemybarbs

AC Members
Dec 23, 2006
Midwest
so if I just get one 5 inch one, I should be fine? The store has jewell, electric blue, yellow, moliro and acei. I think as long as I don't get a pair of breeding fish, they won't get evil.

metricliman

Senior Member (not)
Dec 6, 2012
New York
so if I just get one 5 inch one, I should be fine? The store has jewell, electric blue, yellow, moliro and acei. I think as long as I don't get a pair of breeding fish, they won't get evil.
Don't get any of those. Jewels can be quite nasty, and the rest are cichlids that need higher pH and are pretty aggressive compared to community fish. Get some rams.

lovemybarbs

AC Members
Dec 23, 2006
Midwest
Thanks. I'll get a pair. Thanks!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store