Need Help with Africans

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rawshrimp

Registered Member
Jan 15, 2013
I will be setting up a 125 African tank soon. First Chiclid tank after many planted setups of all sizes. water out of the tap is 7.8 so I decided Africans over South American. I am not interested in breeding per say, but if they do , thats fine. I want an interesting looking variety as this will be a focal point in our home and I really do not want a boisterous tank of fighting fish. I will provide a large amount of Holey Rock . What do you recommend ?

metricliman

Senior Member (not)
Dec 6, 2012
New York
Do you want haps/peacocks or mbuna?

rawshrimp

Registered Member
Jan 15, 2013
I really have no preference at this time. I want color and peace mainly as this is a show tank.

Chrispy1

Registered Member
Feb 11, 2013
Avon, Colorado
Real Name
Chris
Then go with the mbuna as they are usually less aggressive. If you use lots of rocks for hiding places these fish will love it.

DrgRcr

AC Members
Dec 17, 2008
Central NJ
I will have to respectfully disagree with Crispy. All of your preferences(focal point, no breeding, nice colors, and generally more peaceful) scream of an all male Hap/Peacock tank. I guarantee guests will think it's a salt water tank. It will be pricier, unless you buy smaller known males. Fully colored adult males are usually more $. In a 125, you'll have plenty of options. You won't need too much holey rock, as they prefer more open water, but you should provide at least a few safe havens for those that may need to seek it. The holes in the holey rock may not be big enough. If you do go this route, try to choose species that do not look similar, as this can cause possible conspecific aggression issues. Do your research and pick hap species that are lower on the aggression scale. Come up with a list and post it for opinion, there are plenty here that can help. Depending on species' you choose and their adult size, you can probably house upwards of 20 fish when all is said and done.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
DragRacer said it all.

rastoma

AC Members
Feb 29, 2012
Jasper, TN
I will provide a large amount of Holey Rock .
Not to stray from your main question, which unfortunately I cannot help with. I'm curious about this 'large' amount of holy rock. Do you have a source on cheap or free holy rock? Or just plan on spending the money whatever it costs?

I ask because I would love to have some holy rock but it's not cheap stuff. And I can't even guess how much a 'large' amount to put in a 125 gallon tank would cost :)

If you have some hook up or what ever... I asked first... just remember me :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store