Green brittle starfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

liznairn

Registered Member
Sep 11, 2007
Posted this query in the General section and was helpfully advised to repost here as it may encourage further replies (still a learner at posting!) I have had my BGS for 2 years and it has just shed a leg - said leg is fairly active and actually swallowed - at the end of the leg which became detached - a small piece of shrimp which it first curled round before swallowing. The original starfish is very active and healthy looking. Has anyone else experience of this? Is there anything we can do to keep the leg alive? (Might put this forward as an Alfred Hitchcock movie script!)

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
It's common. The leg won't regenerate, but will crawl around for a while. so long as the water condition is good, the star will regrow the missing leg.

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
any idea what /who caused the leg to, well, secede from the union? Does it look like it was removed with violence by another tank in habitant or just had a difference of opinion with the majority body?

I have no experience with starfish that size but legend does say that they can grow new bodies from severed legs. It will be interesting to observe how things develop. Keep us updated...and pics would be nice. :)

liznairn

Registered Member
Sep 11, 2007
Hi, many thanks for your reply. Nothing in our tank to attack and cause the leg to sever. Can only think it just "happened" naturally. So will just keep watching. Not good at all at finding my way around the site yet and even having difficulty getting my replies to post - so will have to sort it out and then, hopefully, will be able to respond better and post pics (which I have taken).

liznairn

Registered Member
Sep 11, 2007
Hi, many thanks for your info and disappointed re non-regeneration. However, it's all a learning experience, and the star does not seem at all unhappy at being minus a leg (nor does the leg seem unhappy without a body!)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store