Otos with Mbuna

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

glenngreen

AC Members
Mar 26, 2005
Tucson, AZ
Real Name
Glenn Green
I have a 40-gal breeder with P. acei (5), Yellow Lab (1), and Red Zebra (1). I started a few Crypts and Java Ferns. I have another community tank with plants, and I have Nerite snails and Otos in there for algae control. Can I get away with a few Nerites and/or Otos in with the Africans? I know a bristle nose Pleco would be okay, but they are hard on the plants. Has anyone tried Otos with these cichlids?

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
I have a 40-gal breeder with P. acei (5), Yellow Lab (1), and Red Zebra (1). I started a few Crypts and Java Ferns. I have another community tank with plants, and I have Nerite snails and Otos in there for algae control. Can I get away with a few Nerites and/or Otos in with the Africans? I know a bristle nose Pleco would be okay, but they are hard on the plants. Has anyone tried Otos with these cichlids?
I wouldn't trust the cichlids with otos. You can keep Nerites with africans no problem though.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Yeah the Oto's would be a bad ideal and probably not so much with the snails as well some Mbuna well relish a snail every now and then but will be a toss up on the snails but i would bet the farm your Oto's will be killed off..

glenngreen

AC Members
Mar 26, 2005
Tucson, AZ
Real Name
Glenn Green
Well, I kinda thought as much but it was worth asking cause I had the otos in stock. I added 5 nerites to the tank, and will seek out a dwarf pleco one of these days... Thanks!

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Yellow labs are well known snail eaters; so, keep an eye on yours.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store