5 gallon red cherry shrimp setup

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rho0889

AC Members
Mar 15, 2012
Hey guys,

I am currently in the cycling stage of my 5 gallon. I already have someone selling me ~20 RCS. The following is my tank set up. I know some equipment is bad and I would like your recommendations and advice on this setup.

5 gallon aqua culture tank kit: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Aqua-Culture-Aquarium-Starter-Kit-5-gal-Fish-Aquatic-Pets/20693704
Lights and filter included in kit,
Deep Blue pre-programmed mini heater (w/ it's ~80 w/o ~70)
Flourite plant substrate by seachem (1/2 the bag)
2 java ferns
1 bunch of anachris
3 small pieces of mopani driftwood

I would like this to be a densely planted tank. I am adding java moss soon and I would love to hear recommendations for other plants. I also want to know if I need an airstone/bubbler of some kind.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
I'm totally unfamilar with the kit but you will probably wont to cover the intake on the filter with a sponge or pantyhose something to keep little shrimplets from getting sucked up. The cheap LED's will be a problem for growing plants, java fern and moss might do ok but not much else.

Rho0889

AC Members
Mar 15, 2012
Well I have the tank located on my desk up against a window so it will get some decent daylight. If I need more lighting what would you recommend.

shloken38

AC Members
Apr 24, 2012
You can stick with low light plants and be fine. A couple of crypts and some hornwort left floating will do just fine. The shrimp love to hang upside down on the hornwort. Red cherries are super hardy, so you'll be fine with what you have. I can tell you this though.....you better have an lfs or some buyer ready to pay or give you credit for those bad boys. That 20 will turn into 100+ within a couple of months.

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
you should be fine...i'd be concerned with algae...maybe just purchase a desk lamp($10) which should be brighter than the LEDs and give you a few more options...but sounds good overall!

good luck!

Rho0889

AC Members
Mar 15, 2012
Lucky for me I already have a desk lamp right next to it. So I'll take a look at that. The breeder I am buying from will take anything I breed that is super red, so that's one option. I'm also trying to find a LFS to sell to but if not Ill have to figure something out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store