Damsel woes... :(

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BuGGaPimp5.0

AC Members
Feb 27, 2004
Miami, FL
Visit site
For the life of me, i can't get these guys out of my tank!!!! they have killed each other as well as my Gobi! I should have pulled them out before i put my Gobi in, but i guess you live and learn. Any advice for catching these guys?!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Bait a large glass jar with some food, and be quick. I've had to tear out all the rock in the tank in order to catch them.

jessie

AC Members
Mar 3, 2004
indiana
Visit site
we caught some the other day out of a freinds tank. we used 2 nets and chased them into one with the other. but it was only a 29 too and not many places to hide.

Makaiveli

AC Members
Feb 6, 2004
Seattle
Visit site
This is how I caught mine

I didn't feed the tank for 4 days. Then I opened the lid completely. Stood above the tank with a big net and some flakes. Waited 10 minutes so the fish were somewhat used to my hovering presence. Dropped a few flakes in...and the hungry damsel swarmed to the surface. Like an Osprey I burst into motion so fast the eyes could barely capture the movement and swept the damsel into the net and out of the tank. It was a domino.

Good luck.

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
you can also wait until they have been asleep for a while and try it then. I found lots of times if you can get a flash light with a red filter it won't disturb them as much or at all.

DREW

um...um...um...Hmmmm
Jan 14, 2004
S.E. Michigan (U.S.A.)
I just got 4 damsels out of my tank today.
ended up having to take out all 15 lbs of live rock & then it took another half hour to catch all the lil boogers.

thats the last time I pull all that rock out. what a pain. :)

not gonna put anything else in there that I'm gonna eventuallY want out. ( I hope)

BuGGaPimp5.0

AC Members
Feb 27, 2004
Miami, FL
Visit site
man i pulled only 2 of the 4 damsels out on friday night. i put the jar in with a piece of frozen brime at the bottom. it took about 45 mins each for them to go in and when they did i covered the top of the jar with the net. boom! caught them like that. i think the other 2 caught on and totally stayed to the opposite side of the tank. I am going to try the starvation method. crazy damsels! thanks all!

brian.graham

Registered Member
Apr 6, 2004
Everett, WA (Seattle)
Visit site
I struggled with the same thing and stumbled upon the idea of just removing the large shell they have always like to hide in. ("duh..." i said to myself upon this epiphany)

These shells aren't too expensive if you don't have one and the damsels (at least mine) love to hide in them.

Chase them in, lift out the shell and give it a good shake/dump into a bucket and you're on your way to "Damsel Freedom".

Brian

ps. i have read that damsels are less territorial if there is only 1 OR 6+ in a tank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store