Strange Die Off..... Disolved gas???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishmael

AC Members
Sep 6, 2000
Rochester, NY
OK. The wierdest thing I've seen in 15+ yrs. of fish keeping, and my half baked theory of the cause. When I checked my tanks this AM I found that one of my 125g display tanks (built into a wall at almost floor level) had 15+ dead Africans plus a huge Syno. decorus and a pl*co. I had last checked the tanks Wednesday night (I leave them dark one day a week). and all was fine. I immediately tore the tank down, removed the dead bodies, started a water change and tested the water. Test results were Ph 7.7, ammonia 0 PPM, nitrites 0 PPM, GH 14-16. Overall, right where my Malawi tanks are normally. I had just done the bi-weekly water cahnge (approx. 30% as usual) on Sunday and this tank and one almost identical to it have been "up" and very stable for about 5 years. So, this leads me to the "theory"... On Wednesday afternoon, my local utility company was at the house doing an upgrade to the gas service/meter. As a reult of this service, they removed the gas meter from inside the house (coincidently in the access are behind the two built in tanks in the basement). When I stopped by to check on the work, there was an obvious odor of natural gas in the basement from this activity. I'm wondering if the natural gas, which I think is heavier than air could have been the cause. The upper atnk which is about 4.5' above the floor was not affected. Is it possible that there was an issue with disolved natural gas causing the deaths. BTW, the fish show no external damage, but the remaining survivors are gasping and have clenched fins. Thanks in advance for any input!

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
The natural gas seems a likely explanation... have you done a massive-scale water change (e.g., 95%) on the affected tank?

It sure sounds like some sort of toxin and the gas (or an additive in the gas) seems the likely culprit. In addition to changing out the water, I'd be running fresh carbon in any filter that can accept it.

Sorry about your loss...

Jim

fishmael

AC Members
Sep 6, 2000
Rochester, NY
Seven more dead fish when I got home. Loaded up on the carbon and did another 50% water change. So far I've lost almost an entire group (ten) of Aul. "lemon jakes", half a dozen Labeo trewavasae "red top", a male N. fuscotaeneatus, 4 Labido. caeruleus "electric yellow", a 10" Syno. decorus (best one I've ever seen), Sail fin "gibby" and it look like my vampire pl*co isn't going to make it. I'm giving the local utility boys a call and see if I can get some compensation. This s#cks.......

Looks like the total is going to be 26 dead fish. Lost the last two lemon jakes today, the vampire pl*co and a Ps. elongatus "chalosi" (one of only three I have). ****.......:sad

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store