Go 90 or giveup?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ckrause

AC Members
Jan 24, 2007
Pocono Mountains
Real Name
Chuck
I have a 56 gal that used to thrive with peacock cichlids before hurricane sandy killed most of them. I re-introduced some assorted africans that were pretty small so I thought it would be safe. Was I wrong, they singled out my remaining peacocks and killed them all off 1 by 1 so now all I got left are these 2 killer cichlids and 1 purple cichlid that the killers are both picking on and I'm sure will soon be dead.
I'm contemplating on flushing them, going to a much wider tank like a 75 or 90 or just giving up being an aquarist all together. Going to a 90 is do-able but tight in the area I'd put them. Flushing is obviously wrong but simple. Giving up looks like the easiest thing to do but I think I'll miss it.

What would you do?

Thanks in advance

Chuck

Last edited by a moderator:

pbeemer

AC Members
Apr 27, 2010
So Cal
not sure why the decisions are coupled. "rehoming" the pseudotropheus brats can be done independently of upsizing the tank. i don't think that the increase in tank size can be expected to affect their behavior in the slightest

not being a cichlid fan, my instincts are to a) find someone who wants them, or b) get out a skillet

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
I have been struggling with similar, but not quite the same issues. Lost all my fish including my discus to the winter snow storm a couple years ago. Then had a recent outbreak of columnaris and lost a few more that I had actually saved from the whole winter storm debacle. I was feeling pretty bummed and thinking I would just give up. I decided not to do anything for awhile. That was the smartest decision. Just took care of what I had left. Didn't even come on here for several months. Now I am feeling better and thinking about what I want to do next.

So, I guess my advice is let the two squabble for a bit with each other and take the time to decide what you want to do. last thing you want is to spend a bunch of money for the 90 to decide that is not what you wanted after all.

ckrause

AC Members
Jan 24, 2007
Pocono Mountains
Real Name
Chuck
Ok, I got too good of a deal to pass up. 90 gallon plus hood and stand and filter and heater and protein skimmer and wave maker for $350. Looks like I'm upgrading. :clap:

Fishfiles1

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
Lansing Michigan/Mesick Michigan
Real Name
Ben
more rocks and more fish, this will make the aggressive fish more distracted when he go to single out one fish

ZivaD

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
Ok, I got too good of a deal to pass up. 90 gallon plus hood and stand and filter and heater and protein skimmer and wave maker for $350. Looks like I'm upgrading. :clap:
Can't beat that deal - congrats on the upgrade!

ckrause

AC Members
Jan 24, 2007
Pocono Mountains
Real Name
Chuck
Wow a 90 gallon tank sure looks empty with only 4 fish. The killers seem to have settled down a lot. I feel sorry for the guy I got the tank from he lost $1500 in fish and corral when Sandy hit New Jersey. Just didn't want to start up again.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store