GBR acting weird, was up!?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jerzboi

AC Members
Jan 13, 2009
Pine Level, NC
Real Name
Brad
I recently bought two German Blue Rams (male and female)

They been together on the regular for a couple weeks now

Just noticed last night the male is in the only rock chilling where the female is under my heater or wall "hiding"

Any idea on whats up with the 2?

both look dark and not colorful as usual... domestic fight? lol

Tank is a 10gal with Val and DW

Fishfiles1

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
Lansing Michigan/Mesick Michigan
Real Name
Ben
first off, i would say that a 10 gallon is to small for blue rams, even for one, being that they can take up a territory of 1' by 1 ' or more, and they require CLEAN water to thrive, i would suggest a 20 gallon long to start, or even better a 30 long with one male and several females, in till a pairs forms. at this point i would just say there dark because of the new location, a lot has happened for these little guys. also, we need a little more info, whats your Ph, Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate, how often do you do water changes, do you have more cover than one rock, and drift wood? Blue rams need hiding places, and plants to feel safe, if they don't feel secure than they will not show off the colors you so much would like to see. Finally your male might not like your female, she might not be ready to breed, but he is, or he just for some reason does not like her, cichlids are weird sometimes. I hope this helped you out in some way, if you have anything else you would like help on, just ask, i'm sure someone will be able to help.

Ben

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
biggest issue...get some readings on your water parameters.

Jerzboi

AC Members
Jan 13, 2009
Pine Level, NC
Real Name
Brad
nitrate - 0
nitrite - 0
gh - 0-25
alk - 180
ph - 7.8

those are my tests as of right now...

looks like the pH is a little high as is the alk

esoepr1976

AC Members
Oct 27, 2012
Iowa
Real Name
Emily
The ph doesn't matter too much as long as it's stable. Your nitrate is 0 which is suspicious. In a cycled tank it is rare to see 0 nitrate. You don't have an ammonia reading. Is this a new tank, or one that is established and cycled? If this is not a cycled tank, I would guess that maybe your ammonia is high, but I don't know because you haven't given us an ammonia reading.

Emily

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store