2g Spec, Pico Reef Build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
I had to postpone my plans for a 40B reef for a while. I'm still planning on setting it up but probably not for at least another year. I am still itching to try a SW setup though and I have seen a lot of threads around for spec pico reefs and am thinking about giving it a shot with mine. I know that a lot of people will say that a bigger tank is better since it's my first marine tank, and it probably is. However, I don't have the money or space for a large tank right now.
I'm not planning on having too much in the tank. Maybe some mushrooms and zoas for corals and I was thinking either a shrimp of some sort or a goby as well. I don't know that many sw fish and inverts though so any suggestions on what would work in a tank this small would be appreciated.

From what I've been reading so far I will definitely need to upgrade the light. I pulled a few suggestions from threads I found on google. Let me know if any of them would be fine or any other suggestions. I'd like to keep the fixture cost around or under $40.
http://www.amazon.com/LCL-60-Finnex...CS/ref=pd_sim_petsupplies_2?tag=5336653614-20
http://www.amazon.com/AquaTop-36-LE...CG/ref=pd_sim_petsupplies_1?tag=5336653614-20
http://www.amazon.com/AquaTop-21-LE...80/ref=pd_sim_petsupplies_1?tag=5336653614-20

I think my first step is going to be some filter mods which can be seen here:
http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/266826-fluval-spec-with-custom-leds/page-3
Also, I'm not sure exactly what I should put in the back compartment for filtration? Is the stock pump in the spec suitable for corals or would that need to be upgraded as well?

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
I'd probably go with the finnex light. Whats the output on the stock pump? 2g I would just stick to invert's, sexy shrimp, pompom crab, couple hermits and snails.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
No idea how many watts those are, couldn't tell. My guess those bulbs are being pushed at a 1/2 watt or less If you are planning for much more that shrooms as corals I would not waste my money. Read a couple of quick reviews and it sounds like some fixtures don't last long. Understood on trying to keep costs down but I honestly don't think you will be happy with either of these. A PAR30 or Par38 bulb would be perfect if you can up the lighting costs a little ($70 to $80). You could keep any coral you wanted with one of those and all you would need is a standard light fixture (desk lamp) that accepts those bulbs. Worth the extra if you want corals.

Check boost led and other LED retailers online. May even find a used one.

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
I'd probably go with the finnex light. Whats the output on the stock pump? 2g I would just stick to invert's, sexy shrimp, pompom crab, couple hermits and snails.
I believe it is 40gph.

No idea how many watts those are, couldn't tell. My guess those bulbs are being pushed at a 1/2 watt or less If you are planning for much more that shrooms as corals I would not waste my money. Read a couple of quick reviews and it sounds like some fixtures don't last long. Understood on trying to keep costs down but I honestly don't think you will be happy with either of these. A PAR30 or Par38 bulb would be perfect if you can up the lighting costs a little ($70 to $80). You could keep any coral you wanted with one of those and all you would need is a standard light fixture (desk lamp) that accepts those bulbs. Worth the extra if you want corals.

Check boost led and other LED retailers online. May even find a used one.
I'm not really looking to spend quite that much on the light. I don't really have much interest in LPS or SPS for this tank. Just zoas and mushrooms, which I understood to be the more forgiving as far as light conditions. If you don't think there is any fixture under $50 that could support just those two types without issues then I may hold off on this as well.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
I take it you already have the Spec 2g? Most of the cheap clamp on LED's are flimsy, but I've had decent luck with the Finnex stuff in the past. I don't know if Aqueon sells the clip on LED's use on the Evolve 8 system but if they do my friend was growing shrooms and low light stuff with the stock bulb in his Evolve. Also coralife sells a mini t5 fixture for $50 it has 2 9" bulbs, but I think its like 12" wide probably to big for a 2g setup.

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
I take it you already have the Spec 2g? Most of the cheap clamp on LED's are flimsy, but I've had decent luck with the Finnex stuff in the past. I don't know if Aqueon sells the clip on LED's use on the Evolve 8 system but if they do my friend was growing shrooms and low light stuff with the stock bulb in his Evolve. Also coralife sells a mini t5 fixture for $50 it has 2 9" bulbs, but I think its like 12" wide probably to big for a 2g setup.
Yup, I already have the spec. However, if I can't find any decent priced fixtures for the spec I may look into an evolve 4 or 8. It looks like I could find one for $60-80. If the fixture can supports shrooms and zoas then the extra space and fixture may make it worth the price for me. Maybe I could even keep that goby in an evolve? I think the pump on the evolve 4 and 8 is also stronger, 100gph if I remember correctly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store