Rapid LED Onyx

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
These look promising. Quality LEDs with no bells and whistles. Anyone seen them in person?

http://www.rapidled.com/onyx-by-rapid-led/

Thinking they might look nice over my 120 gallon with some T5 retrofits and a couple of all royal blue LED bars as a supplement.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
I've not seen them personally, but I was recently considering one myself to replace a 150W mh pendant. I really want separate actinic and daylights in a single unit, and dimmability is nice at least at first to acclimate existing corals, so I passed. RapidLed is one of the best diy places out there, so I have no doubt as to the quality of the unit. If/when they offer it with two dimmable channels it will be a much more useful unit. For the situation you decribe on your 120, 2 of them along with extra actinic would fill the bill nicely. Fwiw here's what I settled on:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160930000778&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:3160
My tank is a 47 column, 20" x 18" x 30" so i wanted optics to make sure useable amounts on light make it to the bottom. As I said I haven't seen the Onyx yet, but I'm not impressed by the "full spectrum" units I have seen. Standard blue/white looks better to my eye, and growth is excellent under blue/white as well.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
This is the unit I'm looking to get, they also have a 32" 200w one, which I may get for my other tank if I like the smaller unit i get from them. http://reefbreeders.com/value_led_fixtures.html Pretty much the same as the one subrosa suggested except it also has a couple red and greed led's and a few different blue spectrums.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
I agree. I guess my thought was that the T5s would allow me to use these fixtures more like a halide (pendent without the heat and cost). I hear you on the "full spectrum". I'm not a fan of the white light LEDs put off and want to accomplish that via T5s. I have some time to decide since all I have is the tank and my 40B is doing well. I am still leaning heavily towards a 36" ATI 6 bulb unit but I saw the Onyx and they looked like a good quality product for a reasonable cost. I would supplement the ATI with 2 royal blue 36" reefbrites. This would allow for a clean look without a canopy and easy access to the ends of the tank since the light fixture won't span the entire length.

Thanks for the input!

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown(Near Austin) ,Texas
www.patrick.international
Real Name
Patrick
These look promising. Quality LEDs with no bells and whistles. Anyone seen them in person?

http://www.rapidled.com/onyx-by-rapid-led/

Thinking they might look nice over my 120 gallon with some T5 retrofits and a couple of all royal blue LED bars as a supplement.
That looks like a good unit for non-eBay people :)

I didn't know you had a 120 gallon, I thought you only had the 40?

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
I didn't know you had a 120 gallon, I thought you only had the 40?

I wondered how long it would take for someone to notice that :). Yep, just got it. Gonna be a while before I get it setup but my LFS got a deal from his wholesaler because he bought a 120 for his shop too. Saved me about $100 so I jumped on it. I have wanted a 4-foot 120 for about 3 years now so its good to finally have one.

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Real Name
Patrick
I wondered how long it would take for someone to notice that :). Yep, just got it. Gonna be a while before I get it setup but my LFS got a deal from his wholesaler because he bought a 120 for his shop too. Saved me about $100 so I jumped on it. I have wanted a 4-foot 120 for about 3 years now so its good to finally have one.
Greech + 120 gallon = really cool reef :)

ThatNewFishGuy

AC Members
May 4, 2010
This is a great thread. I have been looking to upgrade my mess of an led setup for sometime now.

From your guys' posts, it looks as though there are now several very affordable LED systems out there. Makes me feel like I got robbed lol.

Ive been tempted to snag a taotronics system for my 90 gallon but im not sure how those stack up against any of the ones u guys posted.

Its minor but one thing I dont like about Led is that it seems like its very hard to grow coraline under. What about the leds causes this and can it be remedied?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Real Name
Patrick
This is a great thread. I have been looking to upgrade my mess of an led setup for sometime now.

From your guys' posts, it looks as though there are now several very affordable LED systems out there. Makes me feel like I got robbed lol.

Ive been tempted to snag a taotronics system for my 90 gallon but im not sure how those stack up against any of the ones u guys posted.

Its minor but one thing I dont like about Led is that it seems like its very hard to grow coraline under. What about the leds causes this and can it be remedied?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
If you are going the Taotronics route, I suggest that you get two for a 90, at least.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
The unit I ordered is a Taotronics unit, just with optics because of the height of the tank it will light.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store