Are black angels less hardy?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kellem

AC Members
Mar 18, 2009
VA
I'm having trouble keeping black angels.I leave the pet shop with vibrant angels and in 48hrs they are sick,clamped fins,darting the whole 9 yards.

The others "lace" are doing great with robust colors and appetite.its always just the blacks :(

The tanks is well established "cycled" good filtration,82 degrees and under stocked.

Parameters you ask?
KH-180 ppm
hardness-75 ppm
nitrite-0
nitrate 10 ppm
PH-8.0 a little high but others thriving.

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
I think in general the black or double dark angel is less hardy. They have been inbred quite a bit. I would only buy them from a reputable breeder that has taken the time to outbreed to strengthen the line. Angelsplus has awesom black angels. Very healthy.
I also keep my angels 80-82 degrees and they thrive.

livebearerfreak

you are hypnotized! LOL
May 31, 2005
fairchild wi 54741
Real Name
douglas harvey
whats your full stock? tank size? ammonia, not just or nitrite/rate? how did they look at the store? how big were they? any other fish being aggressive? were they in a Q-tank? whats your tank like? hows it set up?

all these questions could help us answer yours....

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
LBF has some legit questions and stephcps is correct...black especially DD black had issues

Kellem

AC Members
Mar 18, 2009
VA
whats your full stock? tank size? ammonia, not just or nitrite/rate? how did they look at the store? how big were they? any other fish being aggressive? were they in a Q-tank? whats your tank like? hows it set up?

all these questions could help us answer yours....

5 quarter sized angels and 1 Bristlenose pleco in a 55 gal tank with no ammonia reading.
I introduced all angels together and treated the tank with Melafix/pimafix.Filtration via sponge and whisper hang-on.The tank has been running for 5 yrs.

I did buy the blacks at a different but reputable pet store so perhaps there tanks operated with a lower PH then the shop where the silver and black angels came from.I also acclimated them slowly,floating the bag for 30 mins while adding my tank water at various intervals.Never seen fish decline so quickly while the others are doing so well....Stumped.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store