Saved a betta from THE CUP

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
so i saved a dragonscale crowntail from the dreadful cups petsmart has them in. I dont know much about bettas but i do have him in a 1.5 gallon tank with some dwarf hairgrass and a bamboo. Its filtered with a sponge filter. He is an active swimmer and has amazing colors but i dont see him eat. He does have a heater thats preset to 78degrees and i do water changes x2 a week. So my question is why dont i see him eat? Could he just be shy? When i got him he was skinny and looked ill but hes grown a bit and his colors have become alot brighter. I dont know if he eats the food off the sand but he has gotten healthier since i got him. Any suggestions/advice?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

livebearerfreak

you are hypnotized! LOL
May 31, 2005
fairchild wi 54741
Real Name
douglas harvey
actually your supporting petsmart into buying more bettas. buying one betta, they think (oh lets order more! seeing as how one person buys our betta, i bet more will!!) so all in all, *saving* one betta is putting another in the same situation as the one you (rescued).. but besides that, good luck with your betta! should post pics!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Good for you Kyle!

I'm considering stocking my 10gal with a betta and maybe some ghost shrimp and a snail.

It's kind of a slippery slope with the beta in a cup thing. We all want pet and LFS to carry them, yet you hate to support it. If only they would take up one or two tank spaces for beta tank(s) with dividers for the little buggers.

Joel

Captain Jim

AC Members
May 12, 2012
What are you trying to feed, Kyle? I used to feed freeze-dried bloodworms, but that is not reccomended as it will swell in belly and cause big problems. A floating pellet(Omega,Hikiri) may be best..you really can tell how much they are eating. There's flake(high protein) and then frozen foods. Bloodworms and fr. brineshrimp is good to get them to eat(usually) if they are having problems adjusting or don't seem to want anything. Again, though, don't feed the worms only..it can make them ill as well. Hope I'm not giving basics to someone knowing more than I do.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
I feedhim flakes and i actually saw him eat today. So im happy. But i need to get a different filter because the current one is dirty and agitates the surface too much. Ill post up pics soon. Hes is my first betta and i have too say they really do have a personality

Captain Jim

AC Members
May 12, 2012
It's pretty hard to find a small filter that does a good job and doesn't disturb a betta with the turbulence a nd current. That very well could be why he is having trouble acclimating and feeding. Do you have maybe a five gallon tank you could use? Or try turning off filter awhile and see if he seems happier.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
It's pretty hard to find a small filter that does a good job and doesn't disturb a betta with the turbulence a nd current. That very well could be why he is having trouble acclimating and feeding. Do you have maybe a five gallon tank you could use? Or try turning off filter awhile and see if he seems happier.
Is your average HOB filter flow (in say a 10gal) too much for a betta?

Awe Bawlz.... I may have to re-think my 10 gal stocking options for the 294th time.. :(

Joel

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
I have an extra 20 gallon buts its more of a tank for my family so i cant put him in there. But i could easily get a 5gal instead of the 2.5gal that i was goin to get him. Could i keep any other fish or invert in there with him? I wanna make him happy so id like plants too

Captain Jim

AC Members
May 12, 2012
Hey, Freshy.. I tried to use an Aqueon 10 in a ten gallon and found it much too much. I have a couple old small HOB's that pour like a third of that , but not sure if I like the tiny flow inasmuch I wonder how good slow flow is--results, I go with a sponge filter that is cheap and I find efficient. A company "Millionshare" I beleive it is..sells four of them for under 10 bucks. Then all you need is small air pump and a couple feet of tubing. I have hundreds of juvy guppies doing well like that as well. Millionshare is on ebay--

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Thanks Jim.

I'm running a Penguin bio-wheel 100 in my 10gal and it appears to circulate a lot of water. The 3 live plants I've got in there wiggle a bit.

I love bubbler filters too (have one in my 29 along with a HOB), but because of the 10gal location, I don't care to run an air pump.

Maybe a betta in the 10gal is out. :(

Joel

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store