Unusually large number of white spots?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tdiggs

AC Members
Feb 3, 2013
My tank has Ich (for sure) and I have lost 5 tetras from it (RIP comrades). The remaining trooper is a Dalmatian Molly (Moo) and he was docile a couple days ago. I have the temperature at 81 F, 25-30% water changes before every treatment (Using Aquarium Products QuICK Cure (top rated)), aquarium salt, feeding a varied diet. He swims around fine now and always comes to the front of the tank for food, I have been vacuuming the gravel during water changes and water parameters (using API Freshwater Master Test Kit) are spot on before every water change. I add a little Stress Coat after the water change but before the treatment and leave the light off (with the blinds in the room open to let minimal light in) so he isn't so stressed.

Here is a picture of him. Why is there so many spots? Is that usual (it doesn't seem like it to me)? Is there anything else I can do to help him out until it's all gone?

Thanks guys.
P.S. I know it's not the best picture, but it's difficult to find a time when he is not swimming so much. He acts like he's never swam before, ha.

IMG_0425.JPG

tdiggs

AC Members
Feb 3, 2013
Anything you recommend I do other than continue the treatment above?

I also have an air pump in there to help him.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Just be prepared to continue the treatment for a min of 3-4 weeks to ensure all free-swimming tomites are killed. You didn't mention if you normally run carbon in your filter(s). If so, remove it during treatment if you haven't already. I'd also raise the temp to about 84-85F. You can go even warmer (88F) but keep an eye on the fish and be prepared to lower it if he shows signs of heat stress/low O2.

tdiggs

AC Members
Feb 3, 2013
I have removed the carbon filter, per instructions request, and I have begun to breach the 81-82 F mark and venture to around 85 F slowly.

What are signs of heat stress and low oxygen?

The only thing that is concerning me right now, as far as the looks of the poor fellow, is the fact that he is swimming A LOT right now, more than he usually has.

I'll be honest, he's in a 10 gallon right now (I have a 20g and a 55g I got used, 20g is set up and waiting for him to move in once he is better) and I got into fishkeeping with a new tank and a few fish. Needless to say, he's been with us through the whole cycling process too (that was fun changing the water like a mad man to keep them comfortable). Should have done research before buying fish! Anyways it's cycled now and all is well except this Ich deal; the Ich came along immediately after the finished cycle. Do you think it's too much stress on the guy or are Mollies pretty resilient?

ALSO, would any recommend using QuICK Cure and the salt treatment? Too much stress?

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
What are signs of heat stress and low oxygen?

ALSO, would any recommend using QuICK Cure and the salt treatment? Too much stress?
Heat stress/low O2 = Hanging near the surface/rapid breathing/gasping.
Your treatment method is fine and should be very effective in killing the ich infestation. I wouldn't say it is too stressful. In fact, the molly likely is enjoying the addition of the salt to the water used in the treatment process and the Quick Cure should have no negative affect on it at all.

tdiggs

AC Members
Feb 3, 2013
Thanks Slappy. I feel a little better. I haven't been doing table salt. I have just been adding maybe a teaspoon of Aquarium Salt (API brand) periodically and with water changes to replace what I took out. Not sure what level the salt is at, but it's not ocean-salty that's for sure.

He hasn't been gasping or near the surface, he used to before I got the air pump a couple weeks back. The only thing that's different about him is his rapid swimming and especially when anyone comes near the front of the tank, he'll act like a puppy and just swim into the glass of the tank and wiggle like he's a 70's dance pro. He never was that excited before.

tdiggs

AC Members
Feb 3, 2013
I have been adding slowly. My light is off and my fish is sleeping a lot. Is it okay that he sleeps through the night and mostly the whole day?
I do turn the light on just to get him to come out so I can get him to eat a little.

kreesdqban

Miami Aquarist
Jan 30, 2009
Miami
Is QuIck Cure safe on plants? I don't want to do salt in my tank because it is planted and I don't want to hurt the plants.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store