Angel Fry Dying

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bonniegiff

AC Members
Jul 18, 2010
I have 4 pair of Platinum Angels in different tanks. Three of them laid eggs with in days of each other. They laid their eggs on slates and a plant. I took them from their parents because they always get eaten. I had a 20 gallon fish tank already set up and cycled.The eggs hatched and I had approximately 300 fry. I have been doing small water changes twice a day and every time I clean the tank I find their are dead ones. I have lost about 125. What am I doing wrong? I spoke to my LPS and they said its ok to keep them in a 20 gallon for a few weeks, it's only been one week. Any suggestions on why they are dying and what I should do to stop loosing them.
Thanks

ZivaD

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
It seems you are having fish deaths in multiple tanks (RE your thread about your swordtails), it may be time to consider if there is something in your general fishkeeping routine that is introducing something to the tanks to cause these issues. In the other thread you mentioned your ammonia in the swordtail tank was very high, have you tested the water in your fry tank and, if so, what were the results?

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
Keep in mind too that egglayers lay hundreds of eggs in hopes that ONE, or maybe two, from a brood will survive to reach breeding age itself. Unless you are planning this as a commercial venture I would not get too worried about deaths even in large numbers. The expectation that we can save and rear all or a majority or even half of a brood is a human invention, unknown in nature.

of course fix any water quality problems as Ziva cites. But if the water is ok and your feeding quantities are in the goldilocks zone-not too much and not too little--it is really up to chance and the fish themselves (genetic quality etc) as to how many survive.

Bonniegiff

AC Members
Jul 18, 2010
Thanks! For everyones help. My problem with my Swordtails and Angel fry was a ammonia problem. I think I cought it in time. I think I am over feeding because I tested all 23 of my tanks and all but the two were fine. The swordtails always seem hungry but altot falls down to the bottom. With my fry I must have overfed to. I have never had three Hundred at once so I put to much shrimp in the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store