fish and decor suggestions for new 90

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ckrause

AC Members
Jan 24, 2007
Pocono Mountains
Real Name
Chuck
Hi Everyone!

First post was in 2007, can't believe I'm still asking questions.

Upgrading from a 56 to a 90, wow what a difference. Can't for the life of me decide on a background or not or which one. Want the tank to be unplanted with rocks and driftwood with tons of hiding places.
I was thinking of going to the lfs and buying 20 assorted african juveniles but I don't want to be lame. Seems like the lfs always have the same boring fish to choose from and that they could give a **** about fish temperament or sex.
In the 56 I had a beautiful colony of peacocks that all but perished due to hurricane sandy, then I made the mistake of putting some juveniles I didn't know in the tank and they hunted and killed my remaining 4 peacocks and a 8 inch pleco!

I would like a mildly aggressive to non-aggressive tank with a lot of color with medium size fish with the opportunity to add some schooling fish like giant danio's.

Here's the catch, I have about $75 to work with.

Can it be done?

The rocks I can get for free not too sure how to acquire driftwood.

Filter, wet/dry, heater, and substrate all in place.

Currently residing in the 90 are 1 pseudotropheus lombardoi, 1 purple haze, 1 blue mbuna with black horizontal stripes and a 3 inch pleco.

What do you all think? :help:

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Im not familiar with african but for the driftwood you could go out into the woods and get a few pieces. This way you get too see what style/ shapes of driftwood your putting in your tank. Also you can have fun searching for it also

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ckrause

AC Members
Jan 24, 2007
Pocono Mountains
Real Name
Chuck
Do you have to do anything to the wood to make it suitable for a tank? I live in a forest, I'll cut down a tree if it's that simple. I thought driftwood had to be petrified or something?

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
From what i heard hardwood is best. See if you can find any pieces that are on the ground already. Before puttin them in the tank you should scrub them down and boil them. You boil it just to kill any parasites/things you wouldnt want in your tank. Ive only done it once. But you should search the internet to find any other useful info on what do do before adding driftwood to your tank.
Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

metricliman

Senior Member (not)
Dec 6, 2012
New York
I would not do driftwood in an african, especially mbuna tank. Put piles and piles of rock in. Driftwood tends to lower the pH and soften the water, not good for african tanks.

Chrispy1

Registered Member
Feb 11, 2013
Avon, Colorado
Real Name
Chris
You cannot just take a piece of wood from the woods and drop it in your tank safely, the wood has to at least be prepared which means soaking it for weeks if not months depending on the wood also some woods are toxic or the tanins in it are toxic to some species of fish so research what you are doing. Like metricliman said using rocks (boil them)and I find my mbuna love flower pots placed on their sides.

jasonfishaddict

AC Members
Jun 18, 2010
I live in King William county Virginia, USA
Real Name
Jason
I agree with not adding drift wood to your african cichlid tank. Rocks, however are highly recommended. You mentioned $75; it's not impossible, you just have to be creative. Flowerpots are a good idea. Home improvement stores may give you broken ones. You could theme the tank around flowerpots. Have a few whole ones with artificial plants in them. Or, stacked slate works too. Base rock could be too expensive but if that's what you want, add a few pieces when you get enough money set aside. Before you know it, your aquascape will be complete.

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store