Rare Dwarf Crayfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
I've had a pair of these for a few weeks now and went back to the lfs and picked up another. Apparently I mixed up some Latin names. I have 3 Cambarellus vasquezi. The problem is, there is even less information on them than the other species I had them confused with. I've googled over and over and can't find any English sites that actually mention this species. I have no clue where they're from so I don't even know what kind of water to keep them in. They're doing fine at the moment but I'd love to breed these guys. Anyone ever heard of them? Have they had a Latin name change recently? Thanks!

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Craw Chief

AC Members
Jan 20, 2013
Yeah that's a tough one. I can't find any information on that exact species either, not even in the scientific literature. The best I could do was this website (http://www.crustawelt.de/wbb3/8743-procambarus-vasquezae.html) which is actually in German, but it talks about Procambarus vasquezae, which sounds similar. Google Chrome translated it and this is the OP of that thread in English:

"Mexico Size: Males up to 7, females about 6 cm -coloring: dark brown, with large bulky bewarzten scissors -pool size: for a pair of at least 60 cm length -Water levels: at the data on the Internet give a hardness of at least 10 I think the crabs and multiply successfully in GH 3-5! -socialization: They are well suited for a community tank, I would recommend a socialization but with sturdy bottom dwellers. The crabs share sometimes very nice when someone gets too close. Injuries are real but not like it. With shrimp it should also go without problems, but even so I have not tried yet. temperature: 18-25 degrees -food: Do not go to plants, some reports of seizure of Java moss I can not confirm. I feed my crabs to feed the list here in the forum. Crayfish are warmly and also against the cheeky residents successfully defended. leaves are used as a retreat. Description: The breeding of crabs was easily possible for me, the rearing of the young crabs redundant but I have made ​​in a separate bowl. The fish the young crabs taste too good."

You could also ask over at http://www.reddit.com/r/Crayfish and see if someone can help. Pictures may be helpful too.

As far as breeding, I wouldn't expect it to be too much different from breeding other species of that genus. If you're not familiar with breeding crayfish, just let me know and I'll see if I can give you advice!

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
Thank you! That helps a lot. I'll look into that spelling to see if anything else come up. I originally based their care off of a Mexican species which inhabit high altitude lakes so they are currently living in 65-70 degree water. I can up that. This is my first attempt at breeding crays however I have done some research. Just for comparison sake how are you breeding them? And what species do you keep? Thanks again!

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
So far the pictures aren't coming out very well, I think I'll try again when I feed tomorrow. I don't know for sure but right now it's the only thing that makes sense. And pictures and videos of this species looks exactly like what I have.

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown(Near Austin) ,Texas
www.patrick.international
Real Name
Patrick
Yeah that's a tough one. I can't find any information on that exact species either, not even in the scientific literature. The best I could do was this website (http://www.crustawelt.de/wbb3/8743-procambarus-vasquezae.html) which is actually in German, but it talks about Procambarus vasquezae, which sounds similar. Google Chrome translated it and this is the OP of that thread in English:

"Mexico Size: Males up to 7, females about 6 cm -coloring: dark brown, with large bulky bewarzten scissors -pool size: for a pair of at least 60 cm length -Water levels: at the data on the Internet give a hardness of at least 10 I think the crabs and multiply successfully in GH 3-5! -socialization: They are well suited for a community tank, I would recommend a socialization but with sturdy bottom dwellers. The crabs share sometimes very nice when someone gets too close. Injuries are real but not like it. With shrimp it should also go without problems, but even so I have not tried yet. temperature: 18-25 degrees -food: Do not go to plants, some reports of seizure of Java moss I can not confirm. I feed my crabs to feed the list here in the forum. Crayfish are warmly and also against the cheeky residents successfully defended. leaves are used as a retreat. Description: The breeding of crabs was easily possible for me, the rearing of the young crabs redundant but I have made ​​in a separate bowl. The fish the young crabs taste too good."

You could also ask over at http://www.reddit.com/r/Crayfish and see if someone can help. Pictures may be helpful too.

As far as breeding, I wouldn't expect it to be too much different from breeding other species of that genus. If you're not familiar with breeding crayfish, just let me know and I'll see if I can give you advice!
I would have never guessed there would be a r/crayfish...

Have you tried putting the info into google translate? I think it can automatically find what language it is。Sometimes it is hard to imagine that scientists had to make up all the information about each species.

Craw Chief

AC Members
Jan 20, 2013
I figured it could have been a spelling error. Glad you got it sorted out!

Thank you! That helps a lot. I'll look into that spelling to see if anything else come up. I originally based their care off of a Mexican species which inhabit high altitude lakes so they are currently living in 65-70 degree water. I can up that. This is my first attempt at breeding crays however I have done some research. Just for comparison sake how are you breeding them? And what species do you keep? Thanks again!
I am not breeding them at the moment, but it's fairly simple to do. Basically if you have a male and a female in a tank, observe them to see if they mate. After they do, put the female into a quarantine tank or grow-out tank or something of that nature. After mating, the male and female may fight so that's why they'll need to be separated. In her tank, give the female some nice places to hide to make her more comfortable. Her eggs should be dark, but if you notice that the eggs are a lighter color, that may mean they weren't fertilized properly. If so, put her back with the male until they mate again.

If the eggs are well fertilized, then wait until they hatch. The babies will want to hang out on the mother's tail for a while, but you can just use your fingers to brush the babies off. Remove the mother from the tank the babies are in, because she will most likely eat them.

The species I keep are Procambarus alleni and Procambarus clarkii.

I would have never guessed there would be a r/crayfish...

Have you tried putting the info into google translate? I think it can automatically find what language it is。Sometimes it is hard to imagine that scientists had to make up all the information about each species.
I recently created r/Crayfish in an attempt to gather a community of people who keep crayfish in the aquarium hobby. There used to be a really good forum for crayfish lovers, but it has since switched owners and all the members left. Most aquarium forums just have a tiny section for invertebrates, which usually feature people posting about shrimp or snails. It's tough to find help for crayfish so I'm hoping r/Crayfish becomes that place!

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
Alright picture time!
Hopefully they're clear enough.

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1360616694.240554.jpg ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1360616725.420678.jpg ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1360616736.362187.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store