Leaking 40breeder Help!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BucketFishWife

AC Members
May 29, 2012
We just came home to find the bottom corner of our 40 breeder FOWLER has sprung a leak. What can we do to fix this ASAP? We have a few fish in there that are not reef safe and the only other tank running is a fully stocked 29gallon biocube reef. Help!

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Probably too late but a rubber made with circulation and heat will work until you can get another tank. Was the tank level?

Sorry this happened. I've been there and it's no fun :(.

Let us know how it went.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
It's better that it happened on the FOWLR. The fish will be fine. They will be stressed so just let them hide. Once you have everything cleaned out, start mixing water.

What brand of tank was this BTW?

BucketFishWife

AC Members
May 29, 2012
It is a slow leak and is just the outside of the bottom we sealed it with some marine epoxy and hope it will hold overnight.. plan to get a new 40breeder in the AM. I am not sure of the brand. We got it for free... I will tell the hubs abt the tub. Luckily we have a canister filter so hanging it on there would be rather easy I think. Plus we already have a drop in heater too.... So not what I was hoping to come home to after a daytrip out of town :(

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Sorry but at least its a slow leak. Glad it was able to be mended.

The tub will help with the transfer. A power head and a heater will be fine while you move things around. Don't worry about the canister for that period of time. Rinse it out with some vinegar/water.

May consider a new bag of sand and a little of the sand from the current tank. Moving sand beds without washing them can be problematic. If you vacuum your sand you should be ok. If not, I personally would not move the entire bed.

Account for ALL of your fish whenever you move rock. Some like to hide in them and you could trap, smash or forget it while rock is out of the water. On that note, try not to keep the rock out of the water for too long.

Only other thing I can think of is check the stand and make sure its level before you fill up the new tank. If it isn't, level it. This is probably because it is a used tank but an unlevel tank can result in a leak.

Good luck with everything.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Leaks suck the last used tank I setup sprung one on me. Last $1 sale I was considering picking up an extra 40b in case of an emergency but I have issues with having empty tanks laying around.

BucketFishWife

AC Members
May 29, 2012
Got the fish, rock, water, hurricane pump and heater set up in the rubbermaid bin... Now to find a new tank... How long can they last Like this? I feel like we just completed a fishkeeping rite of passage or something...

KellyFrancis

Holo the Wise Wolf
Jul 13, 2012
*Thanks God she's never been formally initiated into fishkeeping* ;)

Sorry about your tank! Glad to hear your lovelies are ok! Let us know when they get their new home!!

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
They will be fine for a while. You will need to perform water changes as normal if it will take some time. Having some kind of filter to run carbon would be helpful too if it will be a while before a new tank is found.

You have now joined the ranks of the chosen few :).

BucketFishWife

AC Members
May 29, 2012
Well... We lost the lizard fish overnight so now the other 2 are now being babysat at the LFS.... The blue spotted puffer is enjoying the reef like a kid in a candy store. Thanks for all of your help!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store