dwarf Gourami gender help!! (pics)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kudd187

AC Members
Jan 25, 2013
Ironton, Minnesota
Real Name
Blake
So i picked up 2 dwarf gouramis they other day and i need help sexing them. I read quite a bit about how to tell the difference im them and im pretty sure i have a male and female but i dont have a trained eye when it come to sexing non-livebearers! They still seem small but im not sure because i have never had them before so i hope someone who knows alot about them can help me. The pair get along real well that i have noticed and i dont see them fighting or picking on each other and they are always at each others side but i have seen them like circle each other and then like touch bodies together and like "hug" for a sec and its not like they are doing the mating "hug" cuz there is no bubble nest or its not a tight grip the squeezes eggs out so i am wondering if that means they are fighting or interested with each other for a mating pair which i hope!! They live with my platies and they all get along with each other except for the occasional get away from my algae wafer peck so far so good!! One strange thing though is my male platy follows the smaller DG around like its his gf and i have even seen him try to do the mating dance with it so im not sure if that means that one is a female and my platy is confused and its not a fighting/bullying thing each cuz they arent pecking/biting each other. So here are the pics of them and if someone could help me tell the gender and give me info about them i would really appreciate it!!:thm: I had to put them in a betta cup to take a pic of them because they were to fast for me to take one of them in the tank! Dont worry i dont keep them there!!

I think this one is a female and is about 1 &1/2in or 4cm.
silver DG2.jpgsilver DG1.jpg

I think this on is the male and is about 1 & 3/4in or 4 & 1/2cm.
red DG2.jpgred DG1.jpg

red DG1.jpg red DG2.jpg silver DG1.jpg silver DG2.jpg

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
They look more like 2 females to me. Male dwarf gourami's are really vibrantly coloured. Of course, it is also possible that you have a male that is just stressed out.

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
I think you're right. The female looks pretty thick right now which means, provided you don't have too much current, you may see some breeding soon.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

kudd187

AC Members
Jan 25, 2013
Ironton, Minnesota
Real Name
Blake
The female is really active i mean the smaller one, never hides and is always curious and wants to play but the bigger one does get brighter but he is really skidish still and hides in the cave more often but does come out when he feels safe. He's not bullied or anything and my platies are all really passive, my two males don't ever fight and the female betta in that tank is pretty passive as well and just stays to her side of the tank. How old do you guys estimate they are? i was reading that the males grow brighter with age and its really hard to tell based on color when they are young but correct me if Im wrong. Im really impressed with those little dwarfs gouramis, they are too cute and have such attitudes!! i never thought i would find another fish that i would love as much as i love my platies!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store