Got a New Toy!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

KellyFrancis

Holo the Wise Wolf
Jul 13, 2012
Boyfriend got this from the Snap-On guy at his work:

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1360547373.252819.jpg

I thought it would be fun to take a tour around the ol fish tank with it. Maybe scope out some more aiptasia or one of The blenny's hidey-holes. It does video and stills.

BF's not a mechanic so I'm not outrageous concerned about chemicals it comes in contact with. He works for a silicone factory that makes medical parts. He cleans the tools and injection thingumys in the presses. So it would only have a chance of coming in contact with mineral spirits and something that was described to me as being similar to brake-clean.

Question is: what is the best way to sterilize it before I use it in the tank?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1360547373.252819.jpg

KellyFrancis

Holo the Wise Wolf
Jul 13, 2012
I feel like I've seen this before :)
It always freaks me out when stuff like that happens.... ;)

I've only got the one tank and as of this morning, it hasn't been used. But he got it on Friday and now its Monday.... My primary concern was for future use, after its been at work with Mike, there is a risk of being in contact with said chemicals and its at that point that I need to sterilize it, if only for caution's sake, before I put it in my tank.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
So its a camera with a "snake" lens?

Vinegar and water is about as strong as I would recommend. Could use bleach but I have no idea of the materials that is made out of are compatible with bleach (or vinegar for that matter). So its new? If so a vinegar/water rinse and wipe should be ok.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Brake cleaner is not nice stuff! I would rinse in denatured alcohol to remove any traces of other solvents. Wipe it dry before using, and don't worry about any traces. I add alcohol daily to my reef tank.

KellyFrancis

Holo the Wise Wolf
Jul 13, 2012
So its a camera with a "snake" lens?

Vinegar and water is about as strong as I would recommend. Could use bleach but I have no idea of the materials that is made out of are compatible with bleach (or vinegar for that matter). So its new? If so a vinegar/water rinse and wipe should be ok.
Yeah, its a, ummm, Borescope? (I have no clue) According to the Snap-On guy, it can withstand battery acid for about ten minutes at a go before the lens starts being eaten away. lol. I'm more worried about the tank than the camera. Esp once the BF starts using it at work.

Brake cleaner is not nice stuff! I would rinse in denatured alcohol to remove any traces of other solvents. Wipe it dry before using, and don't worry about any traces. I add alcohol daily to my reef tank.
Awesome! Thanks! I assume I can get that anywhere? *scampers off to google*

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Home Depot, Lowes, wherever. in the paint dept. If it can withstand battery acid for 10 mins, you should stick a shrimp on the end of it and present it to a large Grouper or Lionfish!

KellyFrancis

Holo the Wise Wolf
Jul 13, 2012
^ Thanks!

Home Depot, Lowes, wherever. in the paint dept. If it can withstand battery acid for 10 mins, you should stick a shrimp on the end of it and present it to a large Grouper or Lionfish!
If I ever get my eels, I will for sure do that! The fiercest thing in my tank now is Dolly (the misbar in my av). ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store