Dwarf gourami disease?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
So im setting up a 10gallon tank soon with neons and cherry shrimp and i have 2 questions about dwarf gouramis.
1.) i recently heard about dwarf gourami diesease. Is the such a thing and if so what is it?
2.) would a dwarf gourami be a good centerpiece for my tank as i intend to keep some cherry shrimp?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Dustin86

AC Members
Sep 29, 2012
DG disease is a disease that seems to affect mostly dwarf gourami, occasionally some other types from my understanding. I just lost my dwarf gourami to it after being happy and healthy for 3 months. It manifested with lethargy, then a lack of appetite, followed by a bloating around the abdomen of the fish. Within a week he was dead. It depends on the quality of fish that you get, but from what I understand it is nearly unavoidable at the moment.

My DG made a great centerpiece in a 30 gallon tank. I had originally planned to keep him in a 14 gallon tank with neons and corys. 10 is probably the bare minimum. Should be fine with the shrimp and tetras. Just a matter of whether or not you trust your LFS and are willing to have to replace him after a period of time that might be on the short side.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
I love their colors and how they stay small. Ill see if i can find one from a reputable breeder. Its seem like the most logical way to get a good quality fish. I dont want to replace him but if i have to, what do you feel would be a good centerpice for a 10gal?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

tolawdjk

AC Members
Sep 8, 2010
Honestly, I would avoid dwarf gouramis after personally going through about 6 of them. Even the LFS where I got the last two and the owner personally knew the breeder.

Honey gouramis stay small and would probably be what I would look for for a 10. If you go to a bigger tank, pearl grouamis are great too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store