Crossing Apistos

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
Is it ill advised to keep different Apisto species together due to chance of creating a cross species? Or are they good about breeding within their own species?

chickenlady

AC Members
Dec 28, 2009
I sure wish someone would answer this question, because I see lots of them I would consider if they could all be in the same tank.

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
Apisto's are just like any other cichlid. If placed with a similiar species will crossbreed. Sometimes they will stick to there own kind sometimes they will go with a different species. It varies. This also happens in the wild which is why you can buy a wild caught Redtail x Shovelnose Catfish. You can always try it if they pair up with there own then your good if they go with the other species seperate them.

jasonfishaddict

AC Members
Jun 18, 2010
I live in King William county Virginia, USA
Real Name
Jason
As long as they are for your enjoyment and you're not selling offspring as a pure representation of the species, does it matter? I had a pink convict and a sajica cichlid produce offspring. I couldn't ethically pass them off as anything else but a mixed breed. The point is enjoy fishkeeping for all of its little suprises.

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
I'm not really a fan of crossing species, I enjoy them for their own separate traits. But being able to have fewer tanks would be nice. And I was hoping to sell some offspring.

jasonfishaddict

AC Members
Jun 18, 2010
I live in King William county Virginia, USA
Real Name
Jason
Since that's the case, I wouldn't risk it. Keeping them separate is the only way to be sure there are no "accidents ". MTS can be a serious problem but maybe a space saving design would help. What size tanks do you have.

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store