Do I have another bag of issues on my hands?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tdiggs

AC Members
Feb 3, 2013
Well if you kept updated with my previous posts then you know our 5 Tetras passed away due to ich and inability to cope with medication. We have our favorite fish left. I have been treating him for about a week. 82 F water temp, aquarium salt (about a teaspoon per gallon with water changes), water changes with testing beforehand daily, then apply QuICK Cure with the light off 99% of the time.

Here is a video of what he does. See how he just hangs out like he is about to die then floats with the current for a second? His gills seem to have puffy white stuff coming out of them, from what I read it is a possibility of fungus? What do you guys think? I know it's difficult to make out, but I did my best filming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqiLIDcI07A

His name is Moo btw! He's a cool dude and we are dedicated to saving him :thumbsup:

Thanks guys.

GCL

AC Members
Jun 30, 2006
Western Ct.
Just wondering how you add salt to your tank. I've always diluted it in a cup separately- adding 1/4 cup every hour, slowly while moving the water around. Salt can burn their gills. I am not seeing the white you are talking about. Hope it makes it through all this!

rourk89

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Waterford, Mi
I think you are adding way to much salt to the tank. It is recommended to do 1 ts per 5 gallons. I am not seeing any signs of ich either. However he does seem to be a bit skinny. Has his appetite chaged?

Sent from my DROID2 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

tdiggs

AC Members
Feb 3, 2013
He is eating less. I add the salt to the water before it goes in (dissolving it). He is laying on the rocks out in the open this morning. His gills really are as white as can be. Should I do a massive water change to get rid of salt?

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Your salt levels are fine for a Molly.

tdiggs

AC Members
Feb 3, 2013
Well guys, I have found the issue.

Moo, our beloved trooper passed away this morning, and I am embarrassed to say and very upset with myself. I said we had a few tetras that passed away a few days ago, but I neglected to do a head-count I guess. I got our molly out of the tank and then started draining it so I could boil the gravel and what not to transfer it to a 20 gallon tank (that tank is set up now and running at the highest temperature the heater will go to kill off (or speed up the death of) any remaining ich). As I knocked the fake plant out of the way with the gravel-vac a dead and decaying body from one of the tetras appeared. I was so angry when I saw it. That must be what caused this secondary infection/issue and ultimately the death of our molly.

Rest assured this will never happen again! I can't believe I was so ignorant, I usually am fairly intelligent about what I do.

Don't go too hard on me, it's been a rough day aside from the fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store