female betta breeding reaction

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kudd187

AC Members
Jan 25, 2013
Ironton, Minnesota
Real Name
Blake
I have a question about my females betta reaction to breeding with my male. So she is conditioned with blood worms, its the only thing i could get but she shows her breeding lines the||||| ones and i float her in the breeding tank with The male and when i release her she goes back to the i think stress stripes the ------ ones. Im wondering if that is common for them to go back to that when released or should she always have the breeding lines even when released? my male isn't really aggressive and hasn't beat her up and doesnt chase her to much but she just runs and hides all the time and he just sits under his bubble nest waiting for her. Should i leave her in there or take her back out or? She has that white spot that sticks out as well. I hope someone can help me out!

920fish

Registered Member
Mar 8, 2012
Yes, it is common for some female betta to go back to their stress line. It also depends on how tough the female betta is. I used to breed betta and the one I order from Thailand were very tough when it comes to breeding they usually show their breeding line and goes right up to the male to fight. They rarely show their stress line unless the male was super aggressive. If your male isn't really attacking her you can leave her in there and let her get used to his tank and then they might breed for you. Good luck.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
I dont know much about breeding bettas but ive read a bit on it. Has the male made his bubblenest yet?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

kudd187

AC Members
Jan 25, 2013
Ironton, Minnesota
Real Name
Blake
Yes he kinda has, a small one but he still guards it. The male chases her and rarely bites her, i have never seen them really get into a big fight or find any damage on her. I just don't understand why she keeps switching from breeding line to stress lines, its really confusing! She looks and acts interested one min then just scared the next min or doesn't want anything to do with him! Just like every female i guess haha!

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Lol , hmmmm. Maybe put her back into her own tank again then just try again at a different time. Maybe shes stressed because of him chasing her

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
Yes he kinda has, a small one but he still guards it. The male chases her and rarely bites her, i have never seen them really get into a big fight or find any damage on her. I just don't understand why she keeps switching from breeding line to stress lines, its really confusing! She looks and acts interested one min then just scared the next min or doesn't want anything to do with him! Just like every female i guess haha!
I have bread bettas many times so maybe i can help,

what do you mean by "floating" her in his tank? how long was she in his tank before you released her...what is the tank? how do you have it set up

kudd187

AC Members
Jan 25, 2013
Ironton, Minnesota
Real Name
Blake
i float her in a betta cup just to introduce the the two cuz i dont have a hurricane jar or whatever they are. Its a five gallon tank that is cycled months ago and it has a cave for her to hide in. Has a preset heater at 78 degrees and a small filter way on the other side of where is bubble nest is. He is using a half a styro cup as a nest holder and his nest is getting fairly big now. I had her floating for a good 45 mins in the cup that was almost full with water but not enough where it would tip over and before i released her she was really colorful and really dark lines! I dont understand what her deal is! She has even nodded to him a few times while she was in the cup so i released her and then she sits there for a sec and he comes and dances by her and she takes off and goes and hides and goes back to the stress stripes! He chases her around here and there but is mainly perched under his nest. I have prolly tried this process 3 times but never kept her in very long! Her tummy is pretty round and that white dot is sticking out as well. I dont know what im doing wrong so i really appereciate the advice!

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
i float her in a betta cup just to introduce the the two cuz i dont have a hurricane jar or whatever they are. Its a five gallon tank that is cycled months ago and it has a cave for her to hide in. Has a preset heater at 78 degrees and a small filter way on the other side of where is bubble nest is. He is using a half a styro cup as a nest holder and his nest is getting fairly big now. I had her floating for a good 45 mins in the cup that was almost full with water but not enough where it would tip over and before i released her she was really colorful and really dark lines! I dont understand what her deal is! She has even nodded to him a few times while she was in the cup so i released her and then she sits there for a sec and he comes and dances by her and she takes off and goes and hides and goes back to the stress stripes! He chases her around here and there but is mainly perched under his nest. I have prolly tried this process 3 times but never kept her in very long! Her tummy is pretty round and that white dot is sticking out as well. I dont know what im doing wrong so i really appereciate the advice!
good info.

ok i never used a running filter while breeding..I would have a pre cycled sponge filter turned off while trying to breed, the 10g tank i used was only full with about 4 inches of water so it would be easy to leave her in the tank with him in a betta cup as long as you cover it, even use a glass jar anything round and see threw, keep the heater below the water line (of course) ..five her a clump of live or fake plants to hid in before.....you want to make sure he can get all the way around her.

ok so get a jar if you have the tank low..a drinking glass or anything smooth and round..fill it with tank water..make sure he has been in the tank for a few days before her and place her in the jar ( even an old mason Jar) ..leave her alone..let them freak out over each other for up to a day or so...don't feed it will only foul the water, once they had had time for flaring and dancing then release her..

I have left females in jars for up to two days before I felt comfortable releasing her, but no longer...in my opinion a few hours is not enough.

do you have a pic of the set up?

kudd187

AC Members
Jan 25, 2013
Ironton, Minnesota
Real Name
Blake
if you look in my profile there is pictures of the tank im using minus the other fish but its still the same cave and plants and filter and heater, i have been slowly letting the water drop cuz i know they like it lower. Only reason im using the internal filter is because i cant use that one in my fry tank and my fry are currently using the sponge filter but that internal filter has a switch on it i can adjust the flow so its set to low. I have a air stone in there but it is off after he started blowing his nest. It would just be nice to be able to adjust the temp tho but its always at 78. When you put the female it do you rest her on the bottom in the jar or float her? You know what those plastic betta jars they use at like walmart? That is what im using to introduce her but she lives in my 20 gallon community tank when she not in his tank. Im gonna pull her out and float her for a day or two like you said, its kinda weird but i dont use nets with my bettas, i put my hand in there and they swim right in my hand and let me lift them out!! strange fish!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store