Possibilities

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Branden_Pearson

AC Members
Jun 9, 2012
I am in the process of setting up a 40 gallon long or breeder reef tank. I have a dual t5 ho light and another fluorescent light running the length of the tank. What kind of anemones or corals could I keep? The depth of the tank will only be 16 inches. What kind of bulbs should I run and how long each day?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
I recently upgraded a customer who had a 65 gal (same footprint but 24" high) to LEDs, and while he had a twin T5HO fixture and an actinic LED strip I had no problem maintaining Mushrooms, Zoanthids, A few assorted Leathers and a Hammer Coral, although the Hammer was placed very high in the tank. I wouldn't put a Nem in that tank, but only because the ones I like need more light. I wouldn't put a Condy in, but it would probably be fine. i suppose if the rockwork was high enough a Bubbletip could work as well.

Branden_Pearson

AC Members
Jun 9, 2012
I thought a nem would be tough and as for corals I want to do easy corals and I love softies for their movement. I'm new to salt so I may be able to get more lighting by the time I am ready to dive into corals. What would be some good starters?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Good starters would be corals subrosa mentioned, also easy to maintain are various colonial polyps, xenia, though they can spread fast so you may want to place them alone and not in your main rock area. Kenya tree, some toadstools.

Best to wait at minimum 6 months closer to 12 for tank to become established before adding an anemone hopfully by then you'll be able to upgrade the lighting, with what you have, you might be able to do rock flowers or maxi mini.

For bulbs ATI brand Coral Plus, or Aquablue Special in the T5's, what is the other bulb a CFL or T8? Either way a 50/50 bulb would probably be best in there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store